M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

What's Considered "New"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's Considered "New"

Hi All,

Let's say I visit my local MB dealer some time in 2003 and they've got plenty of 2002 stock available. Is that stock still considered "new"? I've been looking at Edmunds.com and how they help you arrive at a fair negotiated price. Basically, they give you the invoice price, MSRP and True Market Value price break-downs. I'm wondering just how much am I in the driver's seat (bad punn, I know) when I'm after left-over stock and is this stock still considered "new". Basically, is the 2002 pricing numbers still valid even in 2003?
Old 07-16-2002, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 ML320/'03 C320WZ
AFAIK, the car considered new is, if that vehicle hasn't been issue a title. And if you are interested on the last year model you have a good chance that you can get a good bargain, because the dealer wants to get rid those last year model to have space for the new model. You can even get it below invoice, I got mine $500.00 over invoice. hope this helps.
Old 07-16-2002, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
If never titled, technically its new but in fact its still a leftover. MB usually gives the dealer an incentive in the form of cash to get these sold, thus the larger discounts. However I never liked to buy last years model as the actual worth of the car effectivly a year old is never close to what you pay for it. Its worth exactly the same as one thats been on the street for a year less the mileage. The only time this pays off is if you will keep the car for many years and even then the saving per year of ownership is negligable. Same goes for a dealer demo. If this is what you wish to do approach it as buying a year old used vehicle with a bit extra paid for the full warranty and no miles.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:07 AM

Hmmm. So, when you say "...approach it as buying a year old used vehicle with a bit extra paid for the full warranty and no miles.", I wonder if my warranty is now really 3 years/50K Miles. I'm assuming this because if I take the vehicle to a different dealer in 2006 with only 45K miles, they'll see a 2002 coming in and assume the warranty has expired.
Old 07-18-2002, 01:41 PM
Almost a Member!

The warranty information is on file and warranty starts on the date of the vehicle delivery. The dealer won't assume warranty expiration based on model year alone so you should be safe there.
I would listen to sosh though and would prefer to get the current model or if close to a new model year release, I would wait the extra time. A new last year model will have depreciated more value that this year's model when both are sold on the same date and driven off the lot on the same date. Mileage is all you got, along with a set of eyes to cry with, on resale date over the guy who bougth last year's model last year.