M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

How to replace the Oil Level Sensor ML320?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 03:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How to replace the Oil Level Sensor ML320?

I have a 2001 ML320 with aproximately 25K miles. Periodically the oil light comes on and the system indicates that the oil is 2 liters low. Upon dipstick inspection the oil level is fine.

I have heard that there is a problem with the oil level sensors and the part number has been updated a couple of times. Being a mechanically inclined guy, I went to the parts counter and purchased a new sensor. What I got looked like a some multilegged creature from the movie alien. Two main pieces connected with a rubber hose one of which would protrude through the oil pan and connect with a wiring plug. Fine and dandy, just not what I was expecting.

Next I put my beloved ML320 on the hoist and walk under it and start inspecting the pan and where this sensor would go. It appears it is housed inside the pan. Now comes the big problem, how the heck can you get the pan out? There is no room to "drop" the pan and I would expect an oil pick-up to come very close to the overall bottom of the pan which would keep me from sliding it forward or back for removal.

The AllData & Mitchell shop systems (I have contacts that have them) do not show or adequatly describe the procedure beyond it taking 3.9hours. The local Benz dealer doesn't want to talk to me about it beyond "Make an appointment". Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Stephen
Old 11-01-2005, 08:09 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You are correct, the sensor is inside the pan. You need to undo the engine mount nuts (you can do just the pass side,but it is easier undoing both sides). Lift the engine and there is your room for removal of the pan. You will need a tube of 5900 to reseal the pan.Good luck. Post if you have any other questions. By the way, I think it pays less then 3.9 hours at the dealer.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:24 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
02 ML320
My dad has 2002 ML320 'Canadian Spec'. We noticed some oil marks in our driveway. Oil light never came on. After taking the ML to the dealership, they told us that Oil Level sensor needs replecement. And they also said that oil pan has to be removed, so you are right on the track.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you disconnect it will you still get some kind of warning if there is low oil pressure for a reason other than low oil. Also where on the pan is this sensor's wires located