M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Bought 1999 ML320, minor issues, Advice needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 12:59 PM

Received 111 Likes on 93 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG
Question Bought 1999 ML320, minor issues, Advice needed

Blue 1999 ML320 74,000 miles.

Issues:
1) I need another key (is this dealer only or can I ebay the key and have them reprogram it?)

2) Overhead console isn't getting power (compass, garage openers, etc...). I'm not familiar with electrical systems, I'm guessing it's an electrical system. Where should I go to get this fixed? Local shop, dealer, autozone, etc...

3) Rear trunk unlocks electrically, but must manually lock it. I.e. everytime I unlock the car, the trunk unlocks and I have to go back there and manually lock it.

4) Radio says to enter code, i put in some random code and now it says "Waiting" and won't go back to the code entry screen. Can I get the code at a MB dealer for free or do they charge?

5) Has anyone put a OEM navi system bought off ebay in a non-navi on their ML? Or should I go aftermarket navi system?

Thank you, any responses would be appreciate to this new w163 owner.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe the only way to get another key is through the dealer. They cost about $150 each. You'll need your driver's license and some proof of ownership (title, registration, etc.). They take about a week. It may be possible to give them a blank and have them do the programming, but I doubt it.

On the overhead problem, I'd first check fuses. If you don't have a blown fuse, you probably need to have the dealer troubleshoot it - it's probable that a connector has come loose. Has the overhead been modified? This is usually the beginning of problems - someone did a poor job of taking it apart and putting it back together. Since the whole console is dead, this could be a bad common ground.

The trunk problem sounds like a bad lock solenoid. Not a huge fix, but again, probably best to have the dealer do it.

If the battery is every disconnected, the radio needs to have a security code entered to work again. This is an anti-theft feature. Typically these security codes are recorded in the owner's manual or owner documentation somewhere - I believe there is a special card. I'd go through all the docs you have and try and find it. If you can't, the dealer may be able to look it up for you.

I don't think there was an OEM nav in 1999. It's a bolt-in in later models, but up until 2004 or so, it is an antiquated CD-based system and and expensive. I'd go aftermarket with one of the Garmins - e.g., the 2720. Much cheaper, much more powerful.

Sounds like you have an expensive dealer visit coming up. I'd just bite the bullet and get this little stuff fixed.

- Mark
Old 12-10-2005, 09:34 AM

Received 111 Likes on 93 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG
Mark,

Thanks for the info. Looks like I have a large bill coming, but atleast I know what to expect. I have two service recalls I need address, so I"ll just have them fix the aforementioned at the same time. This forum is awesome, I'm amazed by the quick and informative reponses!

-ed
Old 12-15-2005, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I simply called my dealer for the radio code. They asked for the vin and found it in 30 seconds...FREE!!! Try the phone, it worked for me.