M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Need Help...Hole in Gas Tank

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c240
Need Help...Hole in Gas Tank

My wife purchased a used 04 ML350 with 33,000 miles about three months ago and just the other day I could smell gas in the garage. She took the suv in for service and later on in the day mercedes told her she had a hole in the gas tank. The dealership told us this incident isn't under warranty and would costs us 2500 dollars. Also, they advised us to call our insurance company and file a claim. A loaner car is not available to us from mercedes and we should contact our insurance company as well. Can somebody pls. confirm that the dealership is giving me correct information and not pulling my leg. Is this truly not covered under warranty? Thanks for your help...
Old 12-13-2005, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 Audi urS6 Quattro
Originally Posted by Handles101
My wife purchased a used 04 ML350 with 33,000 miles about three months ago and just the other day I could smell gas in the garage. She took the suv in for service and later on in the day mercedes told her she had a hole in the gas tank. The dealership told us this incident isn't under warranty and would costs us 2500 dollars. Also, they advised us to call our insurance company and file a claim. A loaner car is not available to us from mercedes and we should contact our insurance company as well. Can somebody pls. confirm that the dealership is giving me correct information and not pulling my leg. Is this truly not covered under warranty? Thanks for your help...
The dealership most likely deemed that it is not a product defect but outside damage, which isnt covered by the manufacturers warranty..
Old 12-13-2005, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by Handles101
The gas tanks are pretty tough but I guess they can be damaged if you ran over something. They are correct it would not be warranty in that case. They are made of a very tough plastic.
As for the loaner my dealer gives an MB loaner in any situation whether or not the repair was warranty and wether or not the vehicle was purchased from them. Loaners are at N/C and they will even pick up and deliver the loaner/your car at your home or office. This is the first I have heard of a gas tank problem.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:31 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
Loaners are at N/C when you approve of a repair..

Whether under warranty or not. I think, the reason they denied the loaner is because, the car is at the dealership, inoperable due to the gas tank leak, unless the insurance approves or the owner approves of the repair, the dealer can't go ahead and do it.

In that time, while the decision to do the repair or not is not made, the dealer can't authorize a free loaner.

I would agree, this won't be covered under warranty. I had something similar, my driver side seat leather started cracking on me at about 40K miles. I was told, that won't be under warranty since, seat leather cracking is very subjective to use and care, and not a manufacturing defect.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1999 ML430
More than likely, the gas tank damage is located at an accessable are on the tank (exposed to road hazards) and should be fairly easy to fix. I would identify the exact source of the leak, drain the tank as much as possible, clean the area thoroughly and try one of the exterior tank sealers. I think I saw these at a FLAPS recently for about $15.00........Definately worth the effort.......
Old 12-14-2005, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by springerfever
More than likely, the gas tank damage is located at an accessable are on the tank (exposed to road hazards) and should be fairly easy to fix. I would identify the exact source of the leak, drain the tank as much as possible, clean the area thoroughly and try one of the exterior tank sealers. I think I saw these at a FLAPS recently for about $15.00........Definately worth the effort.......
A repair to the gas tank is a shade tree proceedure at best. This could be dangerous. Replace it. You can authorize the repair so they can start on it and the insurance co can work from there. It must be fixed wether you pay or they pay. Could have been that way when you purchased it or, perhaps your wife ran over something. No way to tell.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1999 ML430
Life is dangerous..........