M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Small Photoshoot : Pre-Mod Bug

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W209 - W163
Small Photoshoot : Pre-Mod Bug

And what I plan on doing next week : Smoked Taillamps and H&R Drop

That's all for now... I will take pics after my next round of mods!
Old 01-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 ML320 Sport
Does that mean the amber reflector will come off the chrome headlight area? Those aren't euro lights I'm guessing and I want to remove the amber on mine.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W209 - W163
Yes, I was the first to do this mod, now a couple other have done it too... it is removable but you will still get glue residue when you pry it off... heat up the headlight backings and and pop the sucker out, but make sure u dont strach the "chrome" on the inside, the people who did it after me used chome tape in that section so it looks flawless. the mod was well worth it!
Old 01-29-2006, 01:39 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 ML320 Sport
Originally Posted by ViKTORiOUS
Yes, I was the first to do this mod, now a couple other have done it too... it is removable but you will still get glue residue when you pry it off... heat up the headlight backings and and pop the sucker out, but make sure u dont strach the "chrome" on the inside, the people who did it after me used chome tape in that section so it looks flawless. the mod was well worth it!
Excellent, I had a feeling. The ML is new to me, but I have made headlights in the past, so this would be pretty easy I think. Any tips/tricks for removing the headlight lenses? Does it involve heating the lights in an oven and prying them off? I hate doing that.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W209 - W163
I opted not to use an oven... Instead i borrowed an industrial strength heat gun, and heated it up just enough to pry open with a flat head screwdriver. Also when prying off the reflector, you might have to break it up in sections, so wedge a business card under the reflector, and wedge the flathead ontop of it, so you dont scratch the chrome under the reflector. I had a lot of glue residue that was amber, so I painted mine chrome with chrome spray paint using a small paint brush, others opted to buy chrome tape and cut out the sections so it looks seamless. Either way, people won't notice unless they go 2" up to the headlamp housing. Becareful though, its a risky mod, if you mess up, your headlights go out the door.