M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

New ML 500...another question on brakes...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2001, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 500 Sport
Question New ML 500...another question on brakes...

Just picked up a new ML 500 Sport...Capri Blue My first venture into SUV territory....I like the truck alot, plenty of power...nice interior and features. What I don't like are the brakes....they are way too soft in the pedal for my taste...the 500 comes with big vented disks and four piston calipers...they should give better feel....I wondering if anyone out there knows if they can be adjusted to give a better bite????..I don't think they need to be bled because the pedal is very consistant...just very soft. Granted I'm coming off a CLK 55 so maybe I'm spoiled but this is a very similar brake package and should give better feel. there just needs to be better balance, ie. for the brakes to be as responsive as the accelerator. Also, anyone know of any upgrades to improve steering feel? It's not as bad as the brakes, but is also a bit mushy for my taste.

Thanks....
Old 12-14-2001, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
My ML500 brakes are not mushy or soft. Perhaps yours do need to be bled. Re the steering, try increasing the front tire pressure a couple of pounds. Find the steering in my ML500 is OK and I believe for some reason more precise than the 98 ML320 that I had.
Old 12-14-2001, 07:21 PM
JohnN

I know what you mean, JCO - I felt this during my test drive, and wondered why they were so soft as well.

The answer - you'll know, after you've driven a couple of weeks.

These brakes are driver friendly - you'll see you can make very smooth stops with them, and between EBP and BAS - you'll still be able to stop on a dime when necessary.

One of the biggest knocks I had on the test drive, and now that I'm used to them - I hate to drive our Honda for those hokey, stiff brakes.