M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Roadside Assistance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 09:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 VW cc, 2004 ML350
Roadside Assistance

Well, I had to call the magic number for the first time. Wife was running some errands and called me at work to let me know she was stranded across town with a dead battery. I left work and went over there and sure enough, dead. I had a feeling the battery was getting a bit weak. I'd had an issue with remote range even after replacing remote batteries, the auxillary coolant pump didn't sound as vigorous as it once did, and I had noticed the fan that's under the left side of the dash(I think for the ECU or the like) was sounding funny. I was going to check the battery this weekend, but I really didn't expect to have it die without givng me a more traditional warning like slow cranking. Anyway, I called the number on the visor and sure enough, even though I bought it used, I found that Roadside Assistance was indeed free and all I had to do was pay $143 and change for the new battery. They contacted the local dealer, HBL M-B of Tysons, and Tony from the dealership called me a few minutes later. Unfortunately, due to the horrible traffic between Tysons and Fairfax on a beautiful spring afternoon, it took him 3 hours to get to me. But he was very nice, and called me a couple times from the road to keep me posted on his progress. Never once did I feel neglected or forgotten. Upon his arrival, he went about the work in a very professional and friendly manner. He was very helpful resetting all of the things that needed to be reset after battery replacemant. It's really nice to know that when I drive my Benz, I not only get to enjoy the security of the car around me in case of an accident, but also to know that help is just a phone call away. I must say that this ownership experience just keeps getting more a more fulfilling. For some reason, I can't imagine saying that about my Nissan pickup!

Last edited by PaulX608; 03-30-2006 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 ML350IE, '07 S550, '08 ML350CDI
I've had 5 batteries replaced over the last 6 years (3 different MBs and they don't last as long in the Arizona heat) and not one of them has ever given any warning.

MB Roadside has always been great about getting to me (3 have been in my own garage, 2 out in the wild) and done an excellent job, just like you mention.

I wonder if anybody gets any "real" warning on these cars?
Old 03-31-2006, 10:16 AM

2001 ML320
I've also had the same experience with roadside assistance. I notice that the engine sounded a little weak when starting one morning. MMMMMM 4years, so it's probably due for a new battery. Next morning it would not start. 1/2 hour later the MB roadside shows up with a new battert. $118 later I am on my way. They will also help out with a flat and a gallon or two if gas if necessary.

This is available to ALL owners.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:15 PM

ML500, E500. ML320, CLK500 and SL500
I have used roadside assistance for a battery as well, on a SL500 that my boss does not use that much, they fixed the battery in the garage, fast, nice and friendly. Makes AAA look bad.

One reason I got my ML500 is because of the roadside assistance...

It is for the life of the car/ SUV and that rocks.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1999 ML430
This link was right on time !!

Noticed this morning the ML was acting a little strange on start-up. I thought it was possibly a CPS sensor. Called roadside assistance, a technician was at my house thirty minutes later, tested the battery (dead cell ) and replaced it with the huge 100 amp wet-cell battery for $140.00. I inquired about the gell-batteries Mercedes is now installing and, yes, he had one in his vehicle but cost was $300.00 Thanks but no thanks. I chose the standard with a two-year parts/labor warranty.

Its true about the ML's, and could be Mercedes in general...your car starts fine for many years and then without warning,.... just nothing.... Hardly any symptoms, such as weak starting, slow windows or weak headlights.

If your ML exhibits any out-of-the-ordinary occurances on start-up..do yourself a favor and get it checked. Could save you from being stranded. If you are stranded, the Roadside Assistance is a great option and highly recommended.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:57 PM

'03 ML350IE, '07 S550, '08 ML350CDI
It's not just the MLs...I've had the same symptomless battery death on 2 C-classes and an S-class.