MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W163) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163-10/)
-   -   Rough Downshift on 99 ML320 (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163/147824-rough-downshift-99-ml320.html)

Skibumtx 05-10-2006 10:24 AM

Rough Downshift on 99 ML320

G'day,

I've begun noticing that the transmission on my '99 ML320 (80K miles) has started to, dare I say, Clunk when it downshifts while coming to a stop. It doesn't happen all of the time but it seems to happen a couple times a day when driving around town. It also seems that the tranny "hangs on" to first gear a bit longer than I've come to expect during acceleration.

I recently (2 months ago) had the the car into a private shop to have some minor leaks repaired and they performed a transmission service including the changing of the fluids. It actually leaked worse for a couple days after the service and the shop looked at it and said they had overfilled the reservoir - apparently it's not real easy to measure the level. The leaking stopped but I'm wondering if these recent problems may be related.

Any thoughts?

Ski

sosh 05-10-2006 10:55 AM

They could have used the wrong fluid. Its very important to use only MB fluid or an approved alternate if there is one. The wrong fluid can cause permanent damage.

Calcio 05-10-2006 01:07 PM

Get used to it

Originally Posted by Skibumtx
G'day,

I've begun noticing that the transmission on my '99 ML320 (80K miles) has started to, dare I say, Clunk when it downshifts while coming to a stop. It doesn't happen all of the time but it seems to happen a couple times a day when driving around town. It also seems that the tranny "hangs on" to first gear a bit longer than I've come to expect during acceleration.

I recently (2 months ago) had the the car into a private shop to have some minor leaks repaired and they performed a transmission service including the changing of the fluids. It actually leaked worse for a couple days after the service and the shop looked at it and said they had overfilled the reservoir - apparently it's not real easy to measure the level. The leaking stopped but I'm wondering if these recent problems may be related.

Any thoughts?

Ski

Yep- they all do that or at least mine does and has for a loooong time.

sosh 05-10-2006 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Calcio
Yep- they all do that or at least mine does and has for a loooong time.

Do not know how you can say that. Its not so. I had 2 W163's, a 98 and an 02. Neither of them had any trans shifting roughness or issues. You must have a problem also like the guy who started this thread.

Skibumtx 05-11-2006 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by sosh
They could have used the wrong fluid. Its very important to use only MB fluid or an approved alternate if there is one. The wrong fluid can cause permanent damage.

I checked with the shop and according to their records they used the MB ATF - so i don't think that is the issue.

I bought this car when it was new and this tranny clunk is definately more pronounced than it has been over the life of the vehicle.

Ski

Calcio 05-11-2006 12:30 PM

Common Problem

Originally Posted by sosh
Do not know how you can say that. Its not so. I had 2 W163's, a 98 and an 02. Neither of them had any trans shifting roughness or issues. You must have a problem also like the guy who started this thread.

I've owned the 98 for 8 years and have been to several dealers in my area. The "tranny clunk" is a common issue and no one has ever been able to do anything about it. Perhaps, it is a matter of degree with it being more noticable to some than others based on driving conditions.

pleubner 05-11-2006 04:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Overfilled the reservoir???? Didn't know there was a reservior for the transmission!

pleubner 05-11-2006 05:01 PM

Checking the Fluid Level

5 Attachment(s)
Checking the Fluid Level - Kim Langley

pleubner 05-11-2006 05:02 PM

Checking Fluid - WIS

5 Attachment(s)
Checking Fluid - WIS

pleubner 05-11-2006 05:08 PM

Checking Fluid - WIS cont.

3 Attachment(s)
Checking Fluid - WIS cont.