M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Faulty gas gauge

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320
Is there any other suggestion apart from connecting a smoke machine to the charcaol carnister? I learn the smoke machine is about $1000.00. I will buy this machine only if I will be doing it for everyone on the forum. I leave in Canada and is not possible. Any other concrete suggestions. I have changed my regeneration or purgrd valve yet the demon refused to be casted out.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:26 AM
pcy
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
'14 ML350, '13 C220 CDI, '07 C280, '98 ML320
With the key in the "position 2", disconnect the connector in front of the drivers side rear wheel well; reconnect it. Essentially, you are resetting the fuel guage.

It happened to me once. From the others' comments and my experience, I gather that the gas guage acts up when you lot the gas go almost empty and then fill it up all the way to the neck. It happened to me exactly in that scenario.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:14 PM

ML320
Flashing fuel light and CE Light

Pcy, unfortunately I do not let my gas go down. I am very particular about that. When I drive the car and reach a traffic light where it tends to idle. I put it in neutral and raise the rpm to 1000 the light will never flash. On the othe hand, when it idle on its own for two minutes the light start flashing and then trigger the CE light. It is rather very annoying! No one seems to have an answer for this demonic entity. I hope someone will come with an answer to this problem. It looks like many people out there are driving with a similar problem. What cable are talking about to unplug to reset the gas system. Where it is on the rear driver's side tire.

Last edited by quarmlah; 02-28-2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:37 PM

ML 350
I have the same problem - 2003 ML 350, fill up and gauge shows full, drive a bit and the gauge goes to empty. I noticed this happens more so in the summer when the temps go up. Has anyone found a solution to this? I would prefer to stay away from the dealer if possible.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:42 PM

ML 350
Hi PaulX608, are you still dealing with the faulty gauge or did you find a solution. I am in the same situation, happening mostly in the warmer summer months.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:41 PM

W210 - V6'02 / W163 - V6'02
just got the same symptom ... filled her up but gauge shows only 3/4 tank..... any suggestion where i can get the parts (original sender/pump) online? should i replace the sender/pump first or reset the instrument first?
Old 08-05-2012, 06:50 PM

2003 ML 350
I am resurrecting this thread because I am having the same problem with my 2003 ML 350. I have only owned it since January, and yes, the problem has worsened as time has passed (summer heat issue?). Between 3/8 and empty, the gauge has gotten terribly unreliable, fluctuating up and down at random. However, the overhead display *appears* to be functioning (miles remaining decreases at a steady rate, at least).

Question 1)...can I trust the overhead display if it says I have fuel left?

Question 2)...does this situation point to a bad gauge in the dash, rather tham a sending unit? I would think with a bad sending unit, both overhead display AND dash gauge would indicate an empty tank...???

I thought it was permanently stuck on empty, but just put in $30, and the gauge now shows a little over a half tank. OH display says I can drive 234 miles. FWIW.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by Carole Wright
I am resurrecting this thread because I am having the same problem with my 2003 ML 350. I have only owned it since January, and yes, the problem has worsened as time has passed (summer heat issue?). Between 3/8 and empty, the gauge has gotten terribly unreliable, fluctuating up and down at random. However, the overhead display *appears* to be functioning (miles remaining decreases at a steady rate, at least).

Question 2)...does this situation point to a bad gauge in the dash, rather tham a sending unit? I would think with a bad sending unit, both overhead display AND dash gauge would indicate an empty tank...???

I thought it was permanently stuck on empty, but just put in $30, and the gauge now shows a little over a half tank. OH display says I can drive 234 miles. FWIW.
I would go with the display for a general idea. I used to get good with just resetting my trip odometer each time I filled her up, then I always checked to see how many miles I actually drove on that tank. You have to get good at judging how many miles you can get from a tankfull. So keep checking the trip meter and get nervous when you start to approach 300 miles. lol
Old 08-06-2012, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 754 Likes on 702 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Originally Posted by Carole Wright

Even though the model years do not apply, give this a try. Fuse #5 in the right side kick panel fuse box.
Attached Thumbnails Faulty gas gauge-capture-3.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fuel Gauge Accuracy Late.pdf (15.5 KB, 407 views)
Old 10-14-2012, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01 ML55, 05 Jaguar X type, 05 mini Cooper convertible, 03 VW Eurovan
I have had this same issue since right after my ml55 was out of warranty. If I leave the key on so the gauge has power when I fill it usually registers properly. If I fill with the key off it always reads empty with the fuel light on. After it gets to 3/4 to 1/2 it is fine. I have had so many stupid things wrong with this truck that I have finally just relegated it to the level of my Rover and don't pay attention to a lot of them
Security remote lock system never worked properly from new
Rear door solenoids intermittent
Fog lights never worked right, I just jumped them to the low beams now
Left front wheel randomly locked up for a while, $1000 in repairs, did it a couple times after but seems ok last 10,000
Abs pump motor brushes needed replacing which I did myself for $34, dealer wanted $2700
CEL 0446 evap code, I pressurized the manifold and smoke was coming from above gas tank. Dealer told me the gas tank was cracked on top, $4200 to replace. We dropped both tanks, the rear end, found the plastic t fitting on top was cracked, $12 part. Unbelievable that there is no access panel in the floor. I was tempted to cut one myself.
The Benz legendary reliability is BS, I have had 7 older BMWs over the years and they are far superior as was my Dodge Durango. The dealer network should have multiple class action suits.

Steve
Old 01-06-2014, 02:26 PM

1999 ml430
Fuel gauge problems

First I would like to say,that this site has been very helpful, every time I fill my Ml430 the gas gauge goes to empty and stays there until I drive at least 15 miles and only then does it start to read the tank again, it works properly until I refuel again, and then goes to empty until I drive a little while, so my fix is easy reset your trip and make sure of the miles you go before refueling and live with it! Save a thousand dollars and you will have enough money to keep your tank fill. Because even if you fix the problem it sounds like it returns anyway. Good luck!
Old 01-26-2014, 03:58 AM

1999 ML320
I had this problem and fixed it! Take the fuel sender unit out of tank pull fuel pump fuse turn on key and move float up and down to see where problem resides. Most of the time it's corrosion on the plates I took some jewelers cloth and polished the rheostat plates keep in mind this was from corrosion. If you have the money replace. Mine has been working for the past year with no problems but I have a salvage pump/transmitter on stand-by