M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Bought an '03 ML500: Maintenance?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 ML500, '05C320
Bought an '03 ML500: Maintenance?

Hi everyone, I just purchased a 2003 ML500 with 67,000 miles. I have had it about a month with almost no problems. It is out of the general warranty (not Starmark either). The catalytic converters are being replaced under the required governmental replacement guidelines despite the mileage, this weekend.

As I near 70,000 miles, my next service is indicated to take place, I beleive this is an "A" service which basically consists of an oil change a few checks. However as with most used machines you do not know the history of use for the vehicle. For peace of mind I would like to do a major service, more than the "B" service.

Here are my proposed procedures, questions will be in bold.
1. Change spark plugs, 16 required (recommendations for spark plugs?)

2. Change cabin air filter. (My ML is different than the early ML links I have found, do I remove the screws holding the panel in place under the passenger-side dash?)

3. Change power steering fluid. Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF.

4. Change Brake Fluid and flush lines with MityVac pump. Mobil DOT4 Brake Fluid.

5. Change Antifreeze, Flush Radiator. 2 Gallons Zerex G-05 + distilled water.

6. Change Engine Oil & Filter. 9 Quarts Mobil 1 0W40.

7. Change Air Filter with paper OEM-style.

8. Clean MAF sensor using CPC MAF cleaner (aerosol can).

9. Change Transmission fluid. Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. (Are there online sources for the dipstick, filler cap, gasket, and filter? Links?)

10. Change Transfer Case fluid. Mobile 1 Synthetic ATF.

11. Change front and rear differential fluid. Mobil 1 Synthetic 75W90. (The owner's manual says 80W90, I assume 75W90 would be fine?)

12. Please list anything else that might need changing on a purely preventative basis. Serpentine belt? Thermostat? Fuel Filter? CV Boots?

Additional questions:
I. When the car has sat for several hours, it cranks over for a few seconds before starting, unless I turn the key on and hear the fuel pump prime for a few seconds, it will start immediately. Is this normal or does it indicate a pressure accumulator failure, blocked fuel filter, etc?

II. The car seems to warm up to 85-95 C. 85 cruising at speed or on cold mornings, 95 sitting in traffic. Is this normal? I wonder if it is related to the cats issue that will be resolved in a few days. It has never overheated (knock wood).

III. The sunroof squeeks as it is being closed. Is there a procedure for lubricating it?

IV. The black rubber trim around the windows is no longer shiny (actually part of it is, so it looks even worse). I tried Mother's Back-to-Black with little success. Are there any products that might renew the rubber?

Thanks in advance for your responses.