M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Painting the inner wheel well fenders...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 11:32 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
Painting the inner wheel well fenders...

I am soon going to be starting a full tune up and make over on my 00 320 with about 95K miles on it...

One of the cosmetic fixes I was planning to do is to remove all of the wheel wells and repaint them...just to give it that fresh off the show room look again...

Anyone done that before? I was just planning on using regular off the shelf black paint (spray cans), or is there any special paint that I need to use?
Old 06-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
why dont you just clean them? You can power wash them spray them with simple green, brush them down and add a nice rubber/ plastic trim dress on it. that would be the propper way to give them that off the show room floor look, part of a regular detailing job you should be doing on your Cars as regular maintenance
Old 06-04-2006, 02:23 PM

2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
I have been doing that all along...

I had happened to drive over spilt paint on the road one day...and it has left white smears on the inner fenders...this was long time back...almost 2 years back...

Also, after 6 years, it is bound to lose its show room look...I want to restore it fully to show room condition and ready it up for the next 100K mile/5 year journey...

That's why I want to repaint them....
Old 06-04-2006, 05:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1999 ML430
Yep, I was in the same boat not too long ago. Somehow I managed to drive over fresh grey paint and it was slung all over my rocker panel and wheel wells on the drivers side. Worse thing was, I didn't have an opportunity to clean it till a few days later and the paint had thoroughly dried. After removing both wheel well liners I tried numerous thinners without much luck.

Finally went with a pressure washer running hot water through it. Worked like a champ ! If you really want to do a thorough job, remove the liners (very easy ..just remove the nylon nuts...6-8 I believe, and 'flex' the liner out.) After cleaning, use a plastic dressing, such as 303 Protectorant, and reinstall.

I would not paint the liners, that's just going to lead to problems down the road.

Oh, by the way............as long as you have the wheel liners out, its a great opportunity to change out the spark plugs and, if necessary, the shocks. Liners have to be removed for the shocks to be replaced , and gives easy access to the plugs if you decide to change them . If they have never been changed, its time.Bosch Platinum twos or fours are a good replacement.Don't forget, the 320 takes 12..the 430 takes 16.

Last edited by springerfever; 06-04-2006 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:26 PM

2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
I'll try the same thing...

Its the paint smears that I really want to get rid off...I'll try the pressure washer and then dress them up...I too felt, painting might invite problems down the road...

Yep, I have the never replaced spark-plugs, fuel filter and MAF in mind...for replacement this August, when it will also need a B service. I am planning to get the B-Service done at the dealership and either DIY the rest or look for a local shop to get the rest done...

How hard is to replace the shocks? I am thinking of those too...since its 95K now, the ride doesn't feel bad at all, but it wouldn't hurt to replace them...are the shocks an easy DIY?
Old 06-05-2006, 07:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1999 ML430
Wouldn't say the shock replacement is easy, but if you can follow directions and don't mind a little grease, its easily a DIY project that will save you big bucks. Fronts are easy, if you tackle the rears make sure to replace the shock/spring COMBINATION, not just the shock. I believe great deals can still be found on the combo. Ride will improve dramatically with that kind of mileage on your ML.

Sparkplugs are also easily changed. Plenty of DIY info on this and other ML sites......good luck and keep us posted !! Also we like pictures !!
Old 06-05-2006, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 ML320
I agree with springfever... don't paint them. It is very tricky to get paint to stick well to those liners. If you paint them off the car chances are you are going to bust the finish putting them back in. If you really want that new car look replace them, but that might cost a-bit otherwise just clean the tar out of them. There is no replacement for elbow grease!!

One trick i can give you on detailing your wheels.... take them off the truck (maybe one at a time) and clean them inside and out. You will be pleasently surprised on how good they look after that!! I found a product at Walmart called DuPont Teflon tire dressing. Makes the tires black without the greasy look... I'm impressed with the product...