M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Power Lock Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Lock Issue

Hello,

I have 1998 ML 320.

Since this weekend I am having wierd issue when locking vehicle with my remote. (Unlocking seems to be normal)

Usually When locking, I press lock button on remote, and it locks all doors and trunk and Turn signals blink.

Currenlty when locking, I press lock button on remote, my ML locks all doors, un locks them and then locks them again. Turn signals do not blink. Also trunk is not locked at all. If doors are locked and I open the trunk, my alarm starts.

Do you have any ideas what may be the issue and is there a way to fix it?

Thanks
Old 06-06-2006, 10:00 PM

To add one more interesting fact to this power lock issue.

It looks this whole problem is caused somehow by trunk lock. If I lock the trunk manually by moving the latch on inside of the trunk, then my power locking with remote works just fine - all doors lock immediately and my turn signals blink once. Only problem is that my trunk is then permanently locked.

If I unlock the trunk manually, then I have a problem that I originally described.

Did anyone experience similar problem?

Thanks
Old 06-07-2006, 03:00 AM

2009 ML350
I just replaced my rear latch assembly, I had the same problem. The problem is the acutator that operatates the locking mechanism has broken thus losing the mechanical connection to the lock. The rear hatch locking assembly is all one piece which includes the acuator and the rear hatch outdoor handle. The inside hatch release and locking mechanism is not part of the fix and is independent of outside actuator/handle assembly although the two are tied together but different parts as a whole. This is a very easy DIY project. Remove the inside hatch panel, remove the 2 phillips screws in between the the 2 license plate lamps and from inside the hatch remove the 2ea 8mm (1 on the left and 1 on the right) nuts from the portruding studs. Disengaged the rod from the locking assembly that leads down to hatch latch, remove the 3 eletrical connectors from the actuator remove the entire actuator/handle assembly. Replace with new actuator/handle assembly in reverse order.

The new actuator/handle assembly will cost about $137 and purchase a 1/2 dozen of the rear hatch panel clips/studs because you will break quite a few removing the inside panel cover.

Good luck,

-Kevin
Old 06-21-2006, 01:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
92 500sel/01 320e wag
It has to do with the Tailgate actuator having no ajustment. My dealer screwed with it for a month, finally enlaged the mounting hole in the tailgate. It drove them nuts the replaced the locks twice, got an error message from the body computer about the taigate, decided to ignore it "since most of them have the error message" They should be able to read the fault on the body computer.