M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Door Lock Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 ML320
Angry Door Lock Issue

Group,
Our ML exhibited the dreaded machine gun lock issue. By searching the forum I have been able to find the troubled door. Left rear. The lock mechanism has more resistance than the rest causing this problem. It is still covered under the 30 day warranty from CarMax. Now the questions are:

1) Are the lock assemblies repairable?
2) If so is the repair reliable?
3) or should the lock assembly be replaced?

My fear is that they are going to attempt a repair just to get it past the 30 day warranty. We do however have an extended warranty that will cover this but is the MaxCare warranty worth a flip? We should be able to take it to the dealer but with a higher deductable $75 vs. $50
Old 06-20-2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by BOERNE ML320
Group,
Our ML exhibited the dreaded machine gun lock issue. By searching the forum I have been able to find the troubled door. Left rear. The lock mechanism has more resistance than the rest causing this problem. It is still covered under the 30 day warranty from CarMax. Now the questions are:

1) Are the lock assemblies repairable?
2) If so is the repair reliable?
3) or should the lock assembly be replaced?

My fear is that they are going to attempt a repair just to get it past the 30 day warranty. We do however have an extended warranty that will cover this but is the MaxCare warranty worth a flip? We should be able to take it to the dealer but with a higher deductable $75 vs. $50
1: No

2: Depend, its a problem with ML locks and it could happen again.

3: Yes, its a complete unit and have to replace.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:53 PM

ok i also had this issue (so sick of this car) and the whole unit had to be replaced. the machine gun lock issue drove me nuts and was embarassing.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
92 500sel/01 320e wag
The lock needs to be replaced, the rivets have to be drilled out of the regulator, and then re-pop riveted,. There were two issues the spring, and the tailgate sensor giving an unlock signal. if it is down up and then down it is the tailgate, if it truly ratchets itis the lock.I would have MB do it they have seen a lot of them, and know how to read the trouble codes thru the HHT computer. My 98 was in for so many issues including those locks, I traded it back after a year
Old 12-28-2006, 11:55 PM

2007 Mercedes SL550 Sport
driver's door lock

on my 02 ML320 I can not lock the driver's door. all other doors lock/unlock fine except the driver's side. even when using a key, it will lock, but when trying to unlock I have to keep the key turned while opening the door or the lock will go down and door will not open.

does this seem like a lock problem on one door? is the lock/actuator one piece or I have to rekey the lock? thanks
Old 01-03-2007, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by ataie
on my 02 ML320 I can not lock the driver's door. all other doors lock/unlock fine except the driver's side. even when using a key, it will lock, but when trying to unlock I have to keep the key turned while opening the door or the lock will go down and door will not open.

does this seem like a lock problem on one door? is the lock/actuator one piece or I have to rekey the lock? thanks

Yes it one piece which you have to replace.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:47 AM

2007 Mercedes SL550 Sport
new power lock actuator and it's done - part was about $100 at the dealer and $50 to have my mechanic do it. hedid say that it was oneof the most difficult lock replacement he had done. all fixed now