M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Ml320 Check Engine Light On

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ml320 Check Engine Light On

My Check Engine Light Came On. I Was Thinking That I Need An Oil Change. Yes. I Changed My Oil. And My Light Went Away. But Then The Next Day It Came Back On. I Went To Get The Check Engine Light Checked To See What It Is. They Say Its The Fuel Trim Malfunction (bank1) And (bank 2) So What Do I Do? I Have Warranty But I Dont Know If It Would Cover It Or Not. How Much Would It Cost To Fix This? What Should I Do?
Old 06-19-2006, 05:02 PM

okay. i called my warranty up. and asked. but they said that. fuel trim malfunction isnt what they cover, they cover parts. so i would have to check to see whats really wrong on it also. and somtimes my ETS light comes on. I started the car up .. a min ago . it came on. then i turned the key off. Turned it back on. The light was Off. whats ETS? I dont have my Car booklet. The Mannuel. My car never came with it. The Owner is in California. I regret buying this car. it has alot of scratces, when i bought it. and under this car. has alot of dents. i dont know what was wrong with it before. Im only 18 and i owe. 14,000 on this car left. im in college and broke! What do I do Now?
Old 06-19-2006, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by 2000ML320
okay. i called my warranty up. and asked. but they said that. fuel trim malfunction isnt what they cover, they cover parts. so i would have to check to see whats really wrong on it also. and somtimes my ETS light comes on. I started the car up .. a min ago . it came on. then i turned the key off. Turned it back on. The light was Off. whats ETS? I dont have my Car booklet. The Mannuel. My car never came with it. The Owner is in California. I regret buying this car. it has alot of scratces, when i bought it. and under this car. has alot of dents. i dont know what was wrong with it before. Im only 18 and i owe. 14,000 on this car left. im in college and broke! What do I do Now?
Usually the ETS light comes on with the BAS light also. Most likey your ETS light is caused by a faulty brake switch. You can search here for a DIY replacement I think the part is around $25.

About your check engine light... Your saying a fuel error comes up? I say drive you car until near empty then fill your car up and by doing this it may possibly turn off the check engine light. But if it is still on after you fill up and drive say a 1/4 tank then your going to have to get a more in depth diagnostic by the dealer. Depending on where you live most dealers will do a free diagnostic for you some might charge $90 but I find most dealers do it for free.

I know back when I had my 2000 ML320 I had a check engine light that would come on from time to time and when they checked the code then went and check the part on the car it was fine. Finally they got a useful code and went and look at my fuel pump and determined it was bad, had that replaced and bam all the problems went away. In 2002+ they improved the fuel system of the earlier models and when they do a replacement they replace the older models with the newer updated stuff.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by AndrewAZ
Finally they got a useful code and went and look at my fuel pump and determined it was bad, had that replaced and bam all the problems went away.
this is exactly what happened to me.