M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

A/C doesn't seem to work that great at all

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 02:36 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy A/C doesn't seem to work that great at all

I live in Long Island, NY and its been getting from 82-90 degrees as usual in the summer. In my 02 ML I turn on the A/C and blast the fan to 5 and let it run for about a good 20 minutes. I check also to see if my rear a/c vents are working, iv only had this ML for few months now (about april/may 06). I push both side arrows (I figured each side button is for each vent in the rear) facing up and you see the light shift to the top around the chrome rings. My rear a/c vents dont seem to be releasing air at all, only the right one just a very light spec as if it was on very low fan setting. After 20-25 min my car just gets a little bit cooler after the cars extremely burning when you first sit in the car and start it as usual in the summer. As I drive around for about 15min, I get out of my car and the 87 degree feels so much better than inside my car. It Doesn't Seem to Cool Off Very Well! It might warm up after several hours if I take a long trip. I have a 2006 Nissan Maxima SE and the max takes 2 min to get ice cold, and my ML won't even get that cold at all.

Any suggestions, or does the ML just have a stinky A/C? Just last week I had a loaner 06 C280, that became ice cold in like 5 min.

My ML is still under its original warranty, and it will end in september. Should I take it to Mercedes?

PS: In the Intrument Panel, I turn the last knob on the right to the double square figure, the middle knob is on the lowest number, and the first knob is on 5 for faster fan. Im pretty sure I understand how the settings work, as you turn the last knob on the right different directions, it allow the air flow to move to ur feet, and diff areas of ventilation. (Not sure what all the symbols mean, but you can get a feel of which areas it shifts the air flow).

Last edited by Benzlova; 07-01-2006 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
get some refrigerant put in ur car, my w203 at 59deg was still warm, I got to add some refrigerant but now its...cold.

my 163 never had that problem, I have black on black also.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by advans
get some refrigerant put in ur car, my w203 at 59deg was still warm, I got to add some refrigerant but now its...cold.

my 163 never had that problem, I have black on black also.
I just had my 2002 ML320 in to get a refrigerant refill and it makes a big difference. Out west it is about 110-115 during the day and about 95-100 at night and my car was just not getting cool at all until I had it recharged now I find that I am using the A/C at half power after about 10 mins of driving before I would run 100% all the time.

Best bet to get cold air. turn the a/c on auto and turn the temp selector all the way to the left to the coolest setting.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
Mine works very well. It gets nice and icy after...5 min?

I even wear a jacket in the ML during the summer.

(although this is due to the fact I dislike the feeling of cold air blasting directly at the skin and prefer to have an ambient coolness around me. So it is too cold without a jacket and only using the windows makes it quite hot. So I use full A/C and a jacket!)
Old 07-04-2006, 01:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well if you're still under warranty, it's a no brainer? Take it back and have them evacuate and recharge the A/C and check for leaks.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:21 PM

My rear A/C has been seen twice by the MB dealer. They got it working once then a week or so later we noticed it was not working. I think they replaced the fan motor. The front always works fine. This week, just before the 50k expired, we took it in for service B. Got the car back and it was making a ticking noise. Made appointment started out to the dealer and the v belt broke. Turned out the compressor siezed and broke 2 belts before they figured it out. Take it in for service.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:18 PM
Almost a Member!

They found out that my A/C had a leakage in it, but im going to check to see if the rear A/C works too. How much fan are you suppose to feel in the Rear A/C? Would like the leakage have anything to do with the fan not working on the Rear A/C?
Old 07-09-2006, 09:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by MercedesFTW
Mine works very well. It gets nice and icy after...5 min?

I even wear a jacket in the ML during the summer.

(although this is due to the fact I dislike the feeling of cold air blasting directly at the skin and prefer to have an ambient coolness around me. So it is too cold without a jacket and only using the windows makes it quite hot. So I use full A/C and a jacket!)
Set it to have the all the vents open, so the air is blown to all places. That's what I do because I like it cool around me, not just blown at me.