M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

SRS light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 01:51 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SRS light

The SRS light coming on the dashboard.

I have the same problem - only in my case the light does not stay on continuously - it does go off sometimes. I have had a clogged roof drain which lead to some rain water coming inside the car and the front driver side and passenger side carpet is wet. Could the wet carpet be the problem? If this is an unlikely chance , which is a good place to buy the sensor?? I am in India and the local Authorised MB dealer is giving me a quote of apprx. $ 450+ installation charges.

Will appreciate your reply.
Thanks,
faisalhamid@hotmail.com
Old 07-16-2006, 03:29 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
Very few MLs in India...

Originally Posted by rednsx3
The SRS light coming on the dashboard.

I have the same problem - only in my case the light does not stay on continuously - it does go off sometimes. I have had a clogged roof drain which lead to some rain water coming inside the car and the front driver side and passenger side carpet is wet. Could the wet carpet be the problem? If this is an unlikely chance , which is a good place to buy the sensor?? I am in India and the local Authorised MB dealer is giving me a quote of apprx. $ 450+ installation charges.

Will appreciate your reply.
Thanks,
faisalhamid@hotmail.com
Welcome to the forum...you are probably the first person I know on this forum who owns a ML in India.

A wet carpet is an unlikely cause for the SRS light to come on. It is possible, either your seat belt is damanged/defective or you have an airbag problem...

The sensor might not be defective - it might be in fact detecting it rightly that your SRS system indeed has a malfunction.

Not safe to drive with a defective SRS component. Let your MB dealer first diagnose the problem and then see what they have to say...
Old 07-17-2006, 01:10 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by mihir_d
Welcome to the forum...you are probably the first person I know on this forum who owns a ML in India.

A wet carpet is an unlikely cause for the SRS light to come on. It is possible, either your seat belt is damanged/defective or you have an airbag problem...

The sensor might not be defective - it might be in fact detecting it rightly that your SRS system indeed has a malfunction.

Not safe to drive with a defective SRS component. Let your MB dealer first diagnose the problem and then see what they have to say...
Hi ,

There are quite a few ML's in India but I doubt if anyone is a member of the forum. The problem I'm facing is peculiar - when i am driving alone - the SRS light does not light up - but with a front seat passenger , it always lights up but sometime it goes off for a brief period and then if I hit a bump or something it lights up again.

The MB dealer told me that he need to change the SRS Sensor - but I have my doubts if that could be faulty -- I feel if it were faulty then it would not go off at all.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MY2004 E320
I had the same exact problem in my 2000 ML320 and it turned out to be the SRS sensor pad under the passenger seat. It is a thin sheet of plastic that tells the computer the weight of passenger to the SRS system (Baby smart). It is not uncommon for these to go bad. Replaced under warranty.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:48 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by mobinakhtar
I had the same exact problem in my 2000 ML320 and it turned out to be the SRS sensor pad under the passenger seat. It is a thin sheet of plastic that tells the computer the weight of passenger to the SRS system (Baby smart). It is not uncommon for these to go bad. Replaced under warranty.
Hi,

I think this is the problem. Need to speak to the local ML dealer for the warranty part.

Thanks!
Old 07-19-2006, 02:56 PM

MY2004 E320
If its not under warranty, buy the part and do it yourself (if you are handy or feel comfortable doing it.)

I was watching when they did mine; the tech just pulled on seat cussion skirt, and unhooked the anchors for leather seat cover. He then peeled off the leather cover from the cushion only and not the back part (They are two separate pieces any way). This exposed the sensor sandwitched between the cover and actual seat. If you have seat warmers, pay close attention to the sandwich layers (whichever is on top, sensor or heater).

The tech then removed the sensor, replaced it and pulled the cover back in place, which needed some adjustment and effort. They were extremely careful because used leather tends to rip or crack.

Looking at them, I felt confident that I could do it as well. looked pretty straight forward to me.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:09 PM
Almost a Member!

Hi,

Any idea where I can buy this sensor??
Old 07-20-2006, 05:08 PM

MY2004 E320
I would check the dealer first to see how much it is. Some parts are pretty reasonable.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:18 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by mobinakhtar
I would check the dealer first to see how much it is. Some parts are pretty reasonable.
ok - checked - dealer is quoting $ 600 + installation in New Delhi with a waiting period of 4 weeks for him to order the part.

Any place when I can get it cheaper / faster??
Old 07-28-2006, 01:10 PM
Almost a Member!

ok - checked - dealer is quoting $ 600 + installation in New Delhi with a waiting period of 4 weeks for him to order the part.

Any place when I can get it cheaper / faster??