M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

XM Radio Installation Suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM Radio Installation Suggestions

Hi - I wanted to get XM radio for my just acquired 03 ML 350 inspiration. Since I had XM on another car, XM gave me a deal on the Delphi SkyFi system (xm radio, cradle, cassette adapter, wireless, antenna mount, etc...). In looking at ALL the parts, I'm wondering if 1) I can do this myself and 2) Has anyone had experience with installing XM and is there a preferred method - wireless, mount (looks like a pain to wire up) or cassette adapter (hmm, not sure how that will work with the current stock ML radio/cassette with a wire sticking out...

Any advise is greatly appreciated. If you say, take it to an installer for best results, I'll consider that too. Thanks again!
Old 08-07-2006, 01:05 PM
ON PROBATION

If you go to a local Car audio shop that deals with XM/Delphi you can get a kit that is a hardwired FM mod for Delphis products It will also include a hardwire for power Model # is SA10003
Old 08-07-2006, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by Dallasgreg
Hi - I wanted to get XM radio for my just acquired 03 ML 350 inspiration. Since I had XM on another car, XM gave me a deal on the Delphi SkyFi system (xm radio, cradle, cassette adapter, wireless, antenna mount, etc...). In looking at ALL the parts, I'm wondering if 1) I can do this myself and 2) Has anyone had experience with installing XM and is there a preferred method - wireless, mount (looks like a pain to wire up) or cassette adapter (hmm, not sure how that will work with the current stock ML radio/cassette with a wire sticking out...

Any advise is greatly appreciated. If you say, take it to an installer for best results, I'll consider that too. Thanks again!

I really suggest if are willing to get an XM commander unit. I was able to get mine for $50 with a 1 year agreement. But for the best sound quality I bought a fiber optic converter which takes the place of the CD player and lets you have a aux input... Now with that aux input I routed it into a 3 way switch so I have 1 input of sat radio, 1 for ipod, 1 just waiting for a new toy. So far I have been impressed by it, but I will say the fiber optic converter is expensive around $250 but worth it. I had tried FM modulation before but being a sound quality nut I was not happy with it and I was not happy with the tape deck solution either. I spent a lot of time trying to find a place to put different XM radio, I wanted one of the portable ones but could not find a location that I liked so thats why I ended up going with the commander. If you are wondering it is being hold into place with velcro and so far it has worked perfectly and I have had no problems, I did it with velcro so when I sold the car I would not have any holes or instal evidence.

Feel free to PM me if you need any information on where to get the parts that I have such as the fiber optic converter.
Attached Thumbnails XM Radio Installation Suggestions-p1010008.jpg   XM Radio Installation Suggestions-p1010002.jpg   XM Radio Installation Suggestions-p1010007.jpg   XM Radio Installation Suggestions-p1010003.jpg   XM Radio Installation Suggestions-p1010006.jpg