M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Just drove back from the dealer after a 100K mile tune up..and car refuses to start..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 03:10 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
Just drove back from the dealer after a 100K mile tune up..and car refuses to start..

I had left my truck last weekend at the dealer with a long list of items to be done as I am approaching 100K miles.

1. Transmission/Transfer case/Differential Flush
2. Coolant Flush
3. B Service
4. Fuel Filter
5. State SMOG inspection

Total $1400 !!!!

Apart from that I had done the spark plugs and MAF last month as a DIY

Total $550 !!!!

I just came back from the dealer, parked it on the driveway, and after 5 minutes tried to re-start it to run an errand. The truck refused to start, would keep cranking, but would not fire up. I called the dealership, they adviced to open the hood, let it cool down and then try to re-start it after 30 minutes. If it started, bring it straight back to the shop, else they will arrange to get it towed in.

As luck would have it, it started after cooling down...am just coming back after dropping it again at the dealer.

My initial suspicion is towards the fuel supply circuit, considering the timing of the problem (they tinkered with it - part of replacing the fuel filter).

They think, it might be the CPS (Crankshaft positioning sensor). They will get back to me by the end of the day...

Question, the timing of the CPS...just 5 miles/20 minutes after driving out of a major tune up from the dealership. I have NEVER NEVER had starting problems or any CPS failure symptoms in the last 6 years/94K miles...why so abruptly now?

Is the CPS prone to such abrupt failure, or do the symtoms kick in gradually?

Would the timing be just a conicidence or did the B service, tranny service and fuel filter change expose a failing CPS?

Last edited by mihir_d; 08-13-2006 at 12:15 AM.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
If you were still driving on the original CPS............................ you were lucky it lasted as long as it did. Mine started acting up last winter without any warning after breakfast out with the wife. Since I had read about this failure on several forums, I pretty much knew what the problem was. Managed to get to the dealer later in the morniing where it refused to start for them. Truck had around 75,000 miles on it when it happend. Sure glad it didn't happen on an extended trip. My 2 cents.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:44 PM

2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
Yes, mine is the original CPS

It hasn't been changed ever in 94K miles...the dealer just called me and said, they will be artifically heating up the engine block and run some tests to see if the start problem is related to engine warm up, since it did start at my house after the 30 minute cool down.

5 miles/20 minutes out of a major tune up. The timing of this problem is kinda wierd. Another weird co-incidence. I had the right turn signal relay fail on my 2 months back. I had replaced it then. In the same 5 miles/20 minutes out of a major tune up, the left turn signal relay failed on me too.

Would that hint to any electrical problem they might have introduced while servicing it?

Apart from the CPS, the other cause of symptom seems to be electrical problems at the fuel pump. I still have some suspicion on the fuel circuit since, they replaced the fuel filter as part of this major service.

They should be getting back to me by the end of the day...so I'll post the outcome..
Old 08-12-2006, 04:59 PM

2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
Its the fuel pump relay...

Just got a call from the dealer.

They diagnoised it to be a burnt fuel pump relay.

The fuel filter was replaced. That probably altered the load on the fuel pump, and thus the current drawn by it. As per them, the fuel pump is currently drawing current within specs (10 amps), but the relay had somehow burnt up.

They replaced the relay and the truck is cranking fine...if the relay burns up again, we will know for sure, there is a problem with either the fuel pump or its electricals..

Last edited by mihir_d; 08-13-2006 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW FTW
Originally Posted by mihir_d
Just got a call from the dealer.

They diagnoised it to be a burnt fuel pump relay.

The fuel filter was replaced. Would that have altered the current drawn by the fuel pump. As per them, the fuel pump is drawing current within specs (10 amps), but the relay had burnt up.

They replaced the relay and the truck is cranking fine...if the relay burns up again, we will know for sure, there is a problem with either the fuel pump or its electricals..
If you have had it last that long be happy. Mine failed at about 50k. When they work on the fuel delivery items on your ML they will replace them with better parts(I hope they are better) used in the 02+ ml's.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:12 PM

2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
Truck is back!

It was just the fuel pump relay....I bet, they blew it up while replacing the fuel filter.

Last edited by mihir_d; 08-12-2006 at 07:30 PM.