M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

02 Instrument Panel Lights Dimming

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 ML 320
02 Instrument Panel Lights Dimming

When I turn on my headlights, my instrument panel lights sometimes turn completely off. They will soon fade back on, then off again then on again! Other times they operate normally. I can see the clock/odometer etc all fine in the day, when the headlights are off, but when I click them on, they cut off, and then later will fade back on. Any ideas? This is driving me crazy and I'm just not sure what it could be.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW FTW
Originally Posted by tzetter
When I turn on my headlights, my instrument panel lights sometimes turn completely off. They will soon fade back on, then off again then on again! Other times they operate normally. I can see the clock/odometer etc all fine in the day, when the headlights are off, but when I click them on, they cut off, and then later will fade back on. Any ideas? This is driving me crazy and I'm just not sure what it could be.
Does it sound like your engine struggles when you flip on your lights? Also do your headlights dim then go back to normal then randomly dim and go back to normal? I had that issue where when the headlights where turned on all the cabin lights would dim then go back to normal and randomly dim again. It was found that my accessory belt was lose, it was repaired under warranty the belt was replaced and they re tensioned stuff..