M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Spilled gas in my Trunk!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 05:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spilled gas in my Trunk!!

Today my retarded friend spilt gas in my truck while I was nice enough to let him tag along and fill it up for his jetski. He left the cap open and now as a drove off I smell REAL strong gas from my car, I pull over to find out he spilt bout a gallon of gasoline in my trunk. I CANT GET HE SMELL TO GO AWAY!!!

Tried this:

1) Soap and Water
2) Car Fabric Cleaner
3) Fabreeze
4) Vinegar (To kill the smell)
5) Vacuum to drain the water + Dried it down with towel
6) Left the car to open for it to evaporate (All doors open + Windows + Sunroof + 3rd row windows + Trunk)

Will I get my car smell back? Will the car smell normal? What do you recommend? (Smell horrible, you can smell it 20 ft away from the car!!!)
Old 09-04-2006, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Carpet may be in your future. Let your friend knwo so he can break out his checkbook@!!
Old 09-04-2006, 05:35 PM
Almost a Member!

How much will it go for? Covered under warranty?
Old 09-04-2006, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Be glad it was gas... Heck I could live with the smell of gas. Just be glad you did not spill milk.... You can not get that smell out... Anyways clean it up one more time and go out and buy some coffee beans and place a tray in the back of you car and put the coffee beans on the tray and let it sit over night, the coffee beans should absorb the odor of the gas and its just a matter of time before the smell goes away. If you are in a real rush I suggest going to a car detailing place and they can do several things such as steam clean( if your local grocery store has the units for rent you might try that, you can use it to clean all the carpet in your car and house lol) to ozone treatment.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by Benzlova
How much will it go for? Covered under warranty?
Now why would that be covered under warranty whenthe owner's friend did it?? Give one good reason why MB should be resposible for someones stupid actions??
Old 09-04-2006, 08:15 PM
Almost a Member!

I put baking soda, im in no rush as long as it DOES get out eventually.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:30 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by AndrewAZ
Be glad it was gas... Heck I could live with the smell of gas. Just be glad you did not spill milk.... You can not get that smell out... Anyways clean it up one more time and go out and buy some coffee beans and place a tray in the back of you car and put the coffee beans on the tray and let it sit over night, the coffee beans should absorb the odor of the gas and its just a matter of time before the smell goes away. If you are in a real rush I suggest going to a car detailing place and they can do several things such as steam clean( if your local grocery store has the units for rent you might try that, you can use it to clean all the carpet in your car and house lol) to ozone treatment.

I have friend who own body shops and detailing shops, if I pay a guy as much as I would for detailing, could it be done? I can wait like 2 weeks, I dont think I can stand a year.