M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

XM Radio on 2004 ML500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 05:37 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 ML500
XM Radio on 2004 ML500

I have a 2004 ML500 with the Bose audio and no nav, but CD Changer. Is it possible to install XM sat radio behind the dash on this car, or am I stuck with an external tuner?

The reason I ask is cuz I noticed there is a "SAT" button on the Benz head unit radio...
Old 09-07-2006, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by Yazovets!
I have a 2004 ML500 with the Bose audio and no nav, but CD Changer. Is it possible to install XM sat radio behind the dash on this car, or am I stuck with an external tuner?

The reason I ask is cuz I noticed there is a "SAT" button on the Benz head unit radio...
You would have to change to sirius if you want to use the MCS, I didnt know the 04's had that I thought it was the 05s and later. Anyways being a XM users and sirius is not as great in my opinion I will give you and idea that will cost about the same as having mercedes install a sirius kit in your car. But it requires about $300 and a few hours of DIY. But the only thing is you would have to call and ask if you need a CD player or not, my guess is you could to a local electronics store and buy the adapter, Basically what I am suggestion is a box that is called a fiber optic converter and how it is set up in my car is it is patched into the current CD player cable behind the head unit (what I was saying earlier my guess is you dont not have this cable but you might be able to buy the adapter pice and not have to spice into cables)

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/soundauxmb1.html

^^^^Fiber optic converter, when you hit the CD button on the MCS it will act like a CD player but will give you a R and L input for audio.

If you dont want to use a fiber optic converter you can just use the simple FM modulator but the sound quality is not great, the unit I got comes with a direct wire FM modulator that you wire into the FM antenna.

After you get that you need a XM unit, PM me and I will send you a promotion thing I have that will let you get just about any XM product at a discount but you must sign up for 6 months of service when you buy it and keep your service for 6 months.

Anyways the unit I have is the XM commander. I got it for free but with the promotion code you can get it for like $55.

I am going to recommend if you have no experience with radios is to order the parts and go to best buy or some place like that and have them install it for you, and make sure if you go the fiber optic converter route that you call and make sure you do not need a CD player installed. A big advantage of the fiber optic converter is you can use it for multiple sources if you buy a switch, right now I have a 3 way input switch and have my Ipod and sat radio hooked up, I have 1 input free right now that can be used for say a DVD player install in the future.

I cant get the pictures to load now but I will place a link to another topic where I have posted pictures.

https://mbworld.org/forums/off-topic/161049-xm-placement-should-i-go.html

It is about half way down the page.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:07 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 ML500
I did my own install behind the dash in my other car. But I have a Pioneer XM and Sirius-ready deck. I just bought the XM universal tuner, and head uint adapter converter, and then wired the stuff spliced.

But a Benz is a more difficult thing obviously. How much easier would my life be if I chose Sirius for the Benz?
Old 09-07-2006, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by Yazovets!
I did my own install behind the dash in my other car. But I have a Pioneer XM and Sirius-ready deck. I just bought the XM universal tuner, and head uint adapter converter, and then wired the stuff spliced.

But a Benz is a more difficult thing obviously. How much easier would my life be if I chose Sirius for the Benz?
It would be easy. But check around on the price I have heard anywhere from $400-700.