M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

How to Remove the Battery?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q & R
How to Remove the Battery?

After 6 years of service, my OEM battery is done. How do you get the battery out of a 2000 model? Can't seem to find how it is held in place.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
If I remember right it had a pice of plastic on top that went across the battery and you just took the 2 bolts off either side and it comes out. Now I had some trouble finding the right size battery and partly because I am lazy but you can call roadside assistance and they will come and replace your battery, all you pay is the cost of the battery and the rest is free. If you still need help on this I can go open the hood of the car but it should be very simple and strait forward once you look.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:44 PM

Q & R
If you don't mind. Please check.

I found the front bolt. It was hidden under an HID ballast I installed. But where is the other one?????

Thanks a bunch.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
OK I just took a look for you. Remember I have a 02 ML I assume it will be the same over the years. Basically that strip that goes on top of the battery stumped me for a second until I realize it is not bolted on. The strip latches at the base of the battery on the left side of it it, I just pushed on it and wiggled it a bit and it came undone.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:59 PM

Q & R
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ
OK I just took a look for you. Remember I have a 02 ML I assume it will be the same over the years. Basically that strip that goes on top of the battery stumped me for a second until I realize it is not bolted on. The strip latches at the base of the battery on the left side of it it, I just pushed on it and wiggled it a bit and it came undone.
Hey thanks a lot. I got it .

There is that one front bolt to contend with. The funny thing is that after I put it all back together, the clamp does not hold as tight as it did before. Probably bent it a bit.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:50 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 ML270
Originally Posted by cyeung65
Hey thanks a lot. I got it .

There is that one front bolt to contend with. The funny thing is that after I put it all back together, the clamp does not hold as tight as it did before. Probably bent it a bit.
I replaced my battery with a Bosch one which was slightly smaller so I had to glue a thin piece of black plastic under the clamp so that it was tight.