M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ESP install into 98 ML320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320, Explorer, Porsche 914
Question ESP install into 98 ML320

In 1999 Mercedes introduced ESP into the M-Class. Has anyone done research on what parts would be needed to retro fit ESP in a 98 ML320? I would guess one needs the ESP controller, and the dash switch, any other ideas or thoughts?
Old 10-21-2006, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
probably better off just getting a 99 ML320 as resale value sucks so bad on these cars
Old 10-21-2006, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
you have a 9 year old vehicle and you can figure it will cost you as much as its worth without increasing its value. Don't be dumb either drive it as it is or trade up.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:17 PM

ML320, Explorer, Porsche 914
Talking I would agree however...

I have had this truck since Sept 97 and have logged over 160k miles on her with only 1 issue (alternator went wayback under warranty). I love this old truck and she has treated me well. As long as she keeps motoring like this I will keep her, heck I forsee another 100k out of her, plus she's paid for!! I wasn't thinking dealership parts here, but low cost junkyard/ebay parts to bring on ESP. Besides, I love to tinker with old cars. 2yrs ago I installed the OEM DVD NAV system, got the how-tos from the forum and parts form ebay, works like a champ.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by BADSUV
I have had this truck since Sept 97 and have logged over 160k miles on her with only 1 issue (alternator went wayback under warranty). I love this old truck and she has treated me well. As long as she keeps motoring like this I will keep her, heck I forsee another 100k out of her, plus she's paid for!! I wasn't thinking dealership parts here, but low cost junkyard/ebay parts to bring on ESP. Besides, I love to tinker with old cars. 2yrs ago I installed the OEM DVD NAV system, got the how-tos from the forum and parts form ebay, works like a champ.

These kind of parts, something that can affect you life and death situation, is not something you will buy from a junk place.

If it was a 3rd row seat then it's no problem. You can do what you like.

But if you value your life you never install unused, rusty, damaged, poorly handled parts into a system you need to rely on.

Furthermore, there is a hydraulic / electrical component that you have to investigate with about 100 hours research. That is before you even order one bolt.

The ESP module itself is worth well over $800 and then you will also need a new steering column.

So far everyone who gave you advice above is being honest and fair.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
You are driving a 4wd SUV you dont need ESP, the natural characteristics of 4wd compensate for the lack of an electronic stability program. And if you are in a road condition that ESP turns on you 1. should not be driving that fast 2. need to be more careful. I find it very hard with proper tires to get ESP to kick in even with very aggressive driving. Now when I had almost bald tires on my car ESP would flicker in strait line acceleration till the car changed into 3rd gear. Anyways for the most part the ML like all cars is set up to under steer and let me tell you it under steers like, the only time I have had the back end slide was in the rain and I was screwing around in a parking lot and you would have to be an idiot to do what I was doing on the street.

My guess on cost will be about 1/4 of what you car is worth maybe more.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:49 AM

2005 SL500
"You are driving a 4wd SUV you dont need ESP, the natural characteristics of 4wd compensate for the lack of an electronic stability program."

You obviously don't understand the benefits of ESP. I develop ESP system for SUV's and I can tell you first hand that ESP is your best friend. No 4wd system can compensate for the lack of ESP. That is just crazy talk! If ESP was not helpful, why would NHTSA mandate that ALL vehicles must have ESP standard in a few years. They are making it a law because it saves so many lives. They call it the best safety system since the invention of the seat belt.