M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Laszlo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes ML430
Laszlo

You guys are talking about the brands like they have only one type of tires. Just because one type is not good, an another type of tires are could be excellent. For example the Dunlop tires are good for high performance tires, but not so good for truck tires. Yokohama has some really good ones and some traSHy ones. For example Firestone debate, we all heard what happend, but doesn't mean they are all bad tires. The Firehawk is a pretty good Hi-perf tires.
ANyway, the COnti 4x4 is on the new ML500 at th4e local dealership (Dunlop 5000's are only on a sport models) and for the money (they are 99 at new orig. price) good deal.
I do not wanted an street only tires on my truck, as it sees some light off-road duty occasionally. Sp5000 is a street only tires, allseason hi performance tires. LOoks good, wears good, have them on my BMW.
The first tires MB used on the ML was the General tire, which is a real general tire, belongs to Buicks and Oldsmobile's not to MB's. This was an another money saving tactics, just like when they used US made leather in a first few years, with a great dissapoinments. 8/99 they modified the truck at 300 points and one of them was a leather interiors.

I got 29k miles out of a factory Dunlops (Grandtrack) and they are ready to go. I got the cont's and if they fail, I will buy an another set but I trust them and I will gve them a chance. Their thread design is a little milder then Dunlop grandtrek and a sidewall is a little stiffer hence the rating V instead of H only.
I wanted to improve the handling but not completely loose the 4 wheel traction. The cont 4x4 is just supposed to do this, designed for a 4x4 street machines, but with a little possibilities of off-roading in mind. Will not handle mud or hard terrains in a jungle, but hopefully will handle a light terrain good. SInce I'm in FLorida snow is not a concern, although I go to ski every year to WV, and had some storm experience with an ML. We have lots of rain thoug, and conti 4x4 supposed to handle rain wery well. This was important for me. Dunlop 5000's are also supposed to do good in rain, but I did not experienced it at all, the BMW slides all over just like with any other tires I used to have. So they suck at rain.

97 840ci
00 ML430
75 Fiat x1/9
95 transport Van