M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Tumbler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 ML320
Angry Tumbler

I took my 00 ML320 into the dealer May 2005. They said that the tumbler was bad and charged me for a new tumbler and for a new key ($500). The issue arose again in December 2005 where you take the key and it doesn't lock. The chime stays on when you open the doors as if I left my lights on. Can you say frustrating? So MB dealer replaced the tumbler again under warranty from the original one they put in-in May 05. Ok so here we are in November and the crap happens again!!! This time when I took it in, they said that they would not fix it and they want $900 because it's not the tumbler this time, it's the lock in the tumbler. AND the tumbler is not under warranty anymore anyway---the original tumbler is the only thing that was covered and the warranty expired on that in May 2006. Can you say "BS"??

Does anyone know who I can contact regarding this issue that keeps arising? Basically, the Mercedes dealer has given me 2 faulty parts or has mis-diagnosed the problem within 1 year, in which I feel they should pay for. I'm serious, this sounds sooo illegal to me. Thanks
Old 11-10-2006, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Sounds to me like either your problem is not the tumbler or, you are doing something that damages the tumbler. You car is out of warranty, own up to it and pay to get it fixed. When you purchased ( most likely used) they did not promise you support for life. Nothing illegal about this.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:54 AM

2000 ML320
Angry Get Over It?

Thanks Sosh...I understand that it is out of warranty. I did buy it used. BUT, how does MB sell me a faulty tumbler once and then give me a 2ND one that is defective? What's up with the misdiagnosis then? That's my point. So say I shell out the $900 and the **** does the same thing within a year? Are you going to tell me to own up to it again?
Yes, eventually I will buy a new SUV(I know that's your next statement), definitely not a MB though. The customer service sucks. Newer MB owners get better treatment. And yes, I've observed that. It's very frustrating.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sassybre
Thanks Sosh...I understand that it is out of warranty. I did buy it used. BUT, how does MB sell me a faulty tumbler once and then give me a 2ND one that is defective? What's up with the misdiagnosis then? That's my point. So say I shell out the $900 and the **** does the same thing within a year? Are you going to tell me to own up to it again?
Yes, eventually I will buy a new SUV(I know that's your next statement), definitely not a MB though. The customer service sucks. Newer MB owners get better treatment. And yes, I've observed that. It's very frustrating.
How can you say the customer service sucks. They fixed it and it worked for quite a long time and then failed, they honored the warranty and fixed it agin at no charge. Then you had a 3rd failure out of warranty and they wish to get paid to fix it again and told you it was not the same part that failed. This whole thing seems to me as if there is yet another part of the lock that is bad. This is not a known issue with all the ML's out there I do not recall seeing another of these failures posted on this or other boards. My thoughts are that somewhere along the line maybe before your ownership this lock had been damaged. Perhaps by an attempted theft or by the previous owner trying to do something. Its obvious it was not repaired entirely by the previous owner or by your dealer but dealers do not have X Ray eyes. If he had replaced all the parts he could have, you would be on here crying about your bill and accusing the dealer of doing a number on you. He could not win if he tried. Then on top of this you say you will someday buy a new SUV and it won't be an MB because of a lock failure on a used vehicle that you do not know the history of. That sounds really dumb.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:40 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
I will agree with Sosh on this..

My dealer kept fixing things on my truck all the way till 65000 miles, especially the ones that were repeat failures after warranty. After that, I just felt it was fair for them to not fix things anymore...

I'll give you my example, somewhat similar to your tumbler example. The fabric on my truck's A pillar inner trim seems to start peeling off every 2-3 years or so. They have replaced it twice so far in the last 6 years...one within the 50K mile warranty and then between 50K and 65K miles - both times at no charge....it has now started to peel off again at 95K miles...

My dealer has convinced me that the extreme Sacramento heat is no help, and I have to admit, there is no covered parking at work. The combination of the above two causes the A pillar trim fabric to peel every 2-3 years. The B, C & D pillar trims don't do that, since they seldom bear the brunt of direct sunlight/heat.

I have no reason whatsoever to even ask the dealer for a free fix. I can go on and argue that MB should use better heat resistant glue for the trim fabrics but that is another point. Grumbling about the dealer not doing his part is not fair...I think, I have been treated fairly by them..

Similar to mine, you either have a habit (inadvertent) that causes your key tumbler to go bad...or as Sosh mentioned, the vehicle has a history of repair/damage on the tumbler, before you owned it...either way, its not fair to blame the dealer for not fixing it a 3rd time at no charge...

Last edited by mihir_d; 11-10-2006 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:57 PM

SL55 AMG
You guys are all idiots. I am a Mercedes Mechanic and I know customer service sucks, and the cars are cheap. Mercedes has been haunted by electrical problems for a longtime. Mercedes knows there are problems, the techs are told under warranty to only fix what the customer complains about. The techs cannot point out anything else they see to the customer. Sosh you are a big jerk, people like you are the ones who deserve to drive a Mercedes. I would be glad to here about the 2010 ml550 in a few years. You will be singing a different tune!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2010, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mrhp426
You guys are all idiots. I am a Mercedes Mechanic and I know customer service sucks, and the cars are cheap. Mercedes has been haunted by electrical problems for a longtime. Mercedes knows there are problems, the techs are told under warranty to only fix what the customer complains about. The techs cannot point out anything else they see to the customer. Sosh you are a big jerk, people like you are the ones who deserve to drive a Mercedes. I would be glad to here about the 2010 ml550 in a few years. You will be singing a different tune!!!!!!
My friend if you are not by now an EX MB tech you should be. If there are any MB issues with repair quality they stem from people like you. Could it be that your bitterness to the people that put food on your table could stem from your own incompetence?? Wish there was some way to find our who you are and who your employer is and make them and Mercedes aware of what you are saying about them.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 VW cc, 2004 ML350
Interesting, you joined the forum in March yet made no posts for 7 months only to revive a 4 year old thread to call a respected, long-time member names. Maybe you should just go away.