M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Sticky throttle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 ML500, '07 E350 Sport (wife's)
Unhappy Sticky throttle

Just bought my ML and am noticing it is difficult to drive smoothly because the throttle pedal seems to stick. To be more descript, it tends to step rather than move infinitely. My old CD used to do that, but the power was such that it was not an issue. It's not a particularly high tension, just doesn't depress smoothly. Any thoughts? Thanks to everybody for their great input on this forum. Helps tremendously. Will post pics as soon as I get it cleaned up after the rain.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:41 PM

I know what you mean but I don't know if it's normal or not. I have it on my 05 bought new. It's pretty annoying. Also do you have a lot of side ways play in the gas pedal, it's almost as if it's not tightly attached.

Last edited by kevine310; 12-31-2006 at 04:59 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-31-2006, 02:40 PM

Its the gas pedal cable ,its pretty comon and there are many posts about it
Old 12-31-2006, 03:44 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 ML270
Originally Posted by auto art
Its the gas pedal cable ,its pretty comon and there are many posts about it
You can remove the pin on which the gas pedal turns and, either replace it with a new one (not much good) or replace it with a 10mm bolt which works very well.

I was amazed at the poor design of that pin.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:40 PM

ML
I have a 05 500 also and it's got that same problem. The dealer has cleaned/lubed the cables and links at the end of the cables three times and that hasn't resolved the problem. My understanding is that the issue is with the electronic control unit. The cable acts basically as a sensor and beyond the end of the cable you see under the hood, an electronic system takes over. The only reason they haven't replaced the unit in my case is becasue the techs can't seem to duplicate my problem. I have asked them to live with it for a day, but they cringe due to legal issues. If you get luckier, let me know.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Had the same problem with the 02 ML500 I had. Dealer replaced the cable and that did not do it. He then replaced the cable again along with the entire box on the firewall and that cured it permanently. From what I understand this is a common known problem with 02 and later W163's. In some vehicles its just the cable and in others its just the firewall box and in some, both items. Lubing will not do anything nor will screwing around with the pedal assembly.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:01 PM

ML
Originally Posted by sosh
Had the same problem with the 02 ML500 I had. Dealer replaced the cable and that did not do it. He then replaced the cable again along with the entire box on the firewall and that cured it permanently. From what I understand this is a common known problem with 02 and later W163's. In some vehicles its just the cable and in others its just the firewall box and in some, both items. Lubing will not do anything nor will screwing around with the pedal assembly.
Hi sosh, happy new year and I hope you had a good x-mas. I'm going in tomorrow for what looks like a climate control issue and I'll ask them to look again at the throttle cable. I could never understand how come the techs could not feel what I was feeling. Thanks for the tip. Is the firewall box the drive-by-wire control unit?
Old 01-01-2007, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by Darkmann
Hi sosh, happy new year and I hope you had a good x-mas. I'm going in tomorrow for what looks like a climate control issue and I'll ask them to look again at the throttle cable. I could never understand how come the techs could not feel what I was feeling. Thanks for the tip. Is the firewall box the drive-by-wire control unit?
And the same to you!! Try to get them to replace the firewall box and yes its the drive by wire unit. Some guys tried streaching the external spring and claimed that helped. My shop would not do that as they said it could cause a safety problem and may eventually cause it to throw a code. Perhaps your shop could not find it as when wearing heavy work shoes or boots its not as noticable and also when its wet out its not as noticable as the water acts as a lubricant. Changing or lubing the cable just will not do it. By the way, my 06 is still flawless none of the BS that we all experienced with the W163.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:45 AM

1999 Mercedes Benz SL500 & 2009 E350 4Matic Wagon
Angry Sticky Throttle Problem

Some of you have noted that the dealer was unable to detect this problem as mine also was unable. After he lubed, changed and whatever else he claimed to have done the problem did not go away on our 2001 ML320. By trial I found if you lube the cable from the inside as it goes through the firewall the problem goes away for a period of time -- not a fix, but it does give some period of relief! The only way we were able to get rid of the total problem was to sell the ML -- not just for that reason though, but many, many (too many)other problems!
Old 01-12-2007, 06:10 AM

'03 E39 530I
it's a design flaw. no matter how many times dealer replaces cable or spring, it wont be any different. you need to hack it to your liking.