M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Screwy shifter action on 2001 ML430 - advice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 02:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 Cooper S (I drive everything)
Screwy shifter action on 2001 ML430 - advice?

Likely moisture related as I just got the shifter area a bit wet while detailing the interior. It now stays in first gear only when I get it in drive. No gear indicator on dashboard instrument cluster anymore. When going from D to P, it goes to Neutral and then is stuck there until I release the brake pedal and then it will to to R and P. Kind of the reverse of how it should be as the vehicle should normally require the brake to be engaged to go from N to R (and P). Check engine light is also on. Code scanner gave me a number I forget what it is but basically vehicle does not recognize what gear it's in P-R-N-D, which doesn't surprise me as that is where the problem is. I'm hoping this will just dry out and be fine. Any chance of that, or is it going to go deep into my wallet to find it's happy place? I took it all apart and blew everything out with compressed air. No change. I disconnected the battery and will give it a shot tomorrow morning.
If anyone has any advice or comments they would be greatly appreciated. The interior looks just fantastic BTW

Gar

biggar@***.net
Old 02-06-2007, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 Cooper S (I drive everything)
Well, it's been a week and I guess everything getting dried out is not going to cure the problem. Anyone know where I can get a shifter assembly? I don't care if it's new or used, as long as it works. I'm quite sure I messed up something on the little circuit board that's in the shifter box. Any most excellent and reasonable parts suppliers before I go to the dealer???

Gar
biggar@***.net
Old 02-07-2007, 01:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 GTS; 2019 Alltrack; 1974 C10; 97 993 ---- Gone GLA45, APR STG3 Golf R, 2 E55's, E63S, 911's
Potomac German Auto has tons of ML stuff.

http://mbpartsonline.com/

I've bought a few door panels and a headlamp. Always reasonable, knew their inventory, reasonable shipping. No connection, just a satisfied customer.

Chuck