M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

my recent frustration with my W163

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Originally Posted by advans
hey guys, i'm not a regular here on 163, but am a regular on the 203 forums.,

but recently, my ML500 (2003, with a hair under 42k miles) shuts off. again.

this is not the first time this happened. they have replaced, engine mounts, bushings, key&ignition, tranny mounts, and a bunch of other crap.

what happened the first few times, was...

1. driving normally, no heavy throttle. boom. car shuts off. no power, no brakes no nothing. (bought it in, "fixed" replaced some crap and out)

2. driving normally, all of a sudden, car shuts off, but WITH power, all eletronics work, but RPM is @ zero, everything shown at cluster is at zero. and the car feels like it just shut off. (bought it in, replaced alota crap, even the cluster)

3. driving heavy throttle, on the highway, and all of a sudden bam. funny rpm, like its spazzing. then it shut off. (bought it in, *****ed at the SA, and called mbusa, they said they'll fix it bla bla bla, came out, wow no problems for abt....4 months. until recently)

RECENT, about 2 weeks total.

Driving in city traffic, so think about 40-50mph max. so all of a sudden, the RPM quickly drops, down to 1k rpm. floor it, it'll jump up to 1.2k rpm at MAX, and grandma walks faster than the car. seriously, car doesnt move. at all.

so...OK, shut if off for 5 mins. checked everything, oil is fine, not over heating, NOTHING stuck in the intake, bla bla bla, turned it back on. runs fine.

this happened a few times within a 2 week period. so I have made an appointment with MB-MANHATTAN for earliest, FEB 19th, 2007.

BUT BUT BUT....heres the deal. what happened today. same situation, RPM drop, i let go of the throttle, car seems slug-ish, so i heavied the throttle a bit, and it hits...1500rpm MAX. car DOESNT move, infact, its slowing down. shifting down on the touch shift, moves abt 100rpm more down to "optimal gear" and car slowed down, until it seriously dead stopped. I shut the car off, for 5 mins, do the routine checkup, not over heating, oils right, etc. turned it back on, engine rpm jumps. normal startup, abt...what? 3-4k rpm? then when the idle went down to 500. check engine light came on. and whats funny. even if u floor the car at idle, it jumps up to 1500rpm max.

any help? thanks in advanced
Three years ago I was in a similar situation - I didn't have similar problems but had enough that occured near end of warranty that I had to decide whether to keep and deal with issues later or to get rid of it. The solution was simple - get rid of it, and I recommend that to you. Once past warranty, you'll have to deal with more frustrations, especially financially, if you keep having the same issues you currently have. Keep in mind that the warranty on whatever work is performed on the truck now expires with the 4/50 OEM warranty. So, theoretically, if you replce a component in warranty a day before your warranty expires and that component fails two days later, guess what???? It's on your dime. Yes, I know becasue I went through this. Unless you can work out something wth your SA regarding post warranty repairs, get rid of it. Way too much headache!!!
Old 02-12-2007, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by Darkmann
Three years ago I was in a similar situation - I didn't have similar problems but had enough that occured near end of warranty that I had to decide whether to keep and deal with issues later or to get rid of it. The solution was simple - get rid of it, and I recommend that to you. Once past warranty, you'll have to deal with more frustrations, especially financially, if you keep having the same issues you currently have. Keep in mind that the warranty on whatever work is performed on the truck now expires with the 4/50 OEM warranty. So, theoretically, if you replce a component in warranty a day before your warranty expires and that component fails two days later, guess what???? It's on your dime. Yes, I know becasue I went through this. Unless you can work out something wth your SA regarding post warranty repairs, get rid of it. Way too much headache!!!

I agree. thats why we are trying to see if we can afford to get rid of it and get something else. b/c my car (the c coupe) has recently been being a and I want to part out and get rid of it also. so we'll have to see whats coming first.

thanks alot for the heads up. I figured that after warranty ends a lot of problems with pop up./
Old 02-12-2007, 11:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Originally Posted by advans
I agree. ... I figured that after warranty ends a lot of problems with pop up./
Not that a lot of problems will pop up. The same issues will pop up (and maybe even less) but now you'll not only have to deal with problems you thought were fixed, but also with the bill. That's what's painfull!!! BTW, based on my experience with Bimmers, I don't think this is a MB only problem!!!

With both cars giving you issues, you could arrange with your SAand/or even your salesman to take care of certain issues if you purchase another MB from them. I've never done this but I can see them balking and giving you a great deal - do this in the Lo season (winter!!!). I have had other post warranty issues taken care of by just working with my SA, even on my MBs.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ml55, Ml63, Porsche, C63S ED1
so what was the solution to fix p0221?
Old 11-21-2008, 12:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
Originally Posted by ruey220
so what was the solution to fix p0221?
hey ruey, did you ever get rid of the AMG replica bumper?