M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Can the cable going to BOSE subwoofer be tapped for line level input for new subs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 ML320, 2000 Audi TT Quattro Coupe Modified, 1996 NSX-T Modified
Can the cable going to BOSE subwoofer be tapped for line level input for new subs?

I have 2 new subs for my 2000 ML320 that I want to put in the truck, and I know I could install my line level to RCA converter behind the MCS headunit and use the rear speaker line level outputs. I was wondering if there was a different place for me to tap- ie I was wondering if the cable that goes to the under seat subwoofer-type device can be tapped with the converter? I know that cable needs to be disconnected when I install the new subs since there is no real use for the under seat subwoofer that comes with the Bose system, just thought it might be easier since it is closer to the truck area.

If that is possible does anyone have the wiring diagram for that? Otherwise if the only location to get a good line level output is behind the headunit could someone send me the wiring diagram for that as well?

Thanks so much!
Tom
Old 03-14-2007, 11:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
Originally Posted by hacktht
I have 2 new subs for my 2000 ML320 that I want to put in the truck, and I know I could install my line level to RCA converter behind the MCS headunit and use the rear speaker line level outputs. I was wondering if there was a different place for me to tap- ie I was wondering if the cable that goes to the under seat subwoofer-type device can be tapped with the converter? I know that cable needs to be disconnected when I install the new subs since there is no real use for the under seat subwoofer that comes with the Bose system, just thought it might be easier since it is closer to the truck area.

If that is possible does anyone have the wiring diagram for that? Otherwise if the only location to get a good line level output is behind the headunit could someone send me the wiring diagram for that as well?

Thanks so much!
Tom
Tom, I dont believe the 2000 MLs came with underseat subs. I would test for low level coming out of the MCS unit. I believe you can run that directly in to a set of RCAs My 55 was completely gutted before I thought to try that.

My recomendation would be to skip the line leveler(if you can grab low level at the radio that is) and use a voltage amplifier to bring that signal from at best 4 volts to 6v signals... this all depends on your equipment, what are you installing?
Old 03-14-2007, 11:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by 55fanatic
Tom, I dont believe the 2000 MLs came with underseat subs. I would test for low level coming out of the MCS unit. I believe you can run that directly in to a set of RCAs My 55 was completely gutted before I thought to try that.

My recomendation would be to skip the line leveler(if you can grab low level at the radio that is) and use a voltage amplifier to bring that signal from at best 4 volts to 6v signals... this all depends on your equipment, what are you installing?
PS search the forum, this is like beating a dead horse already
Old 03-17-2007, 01:00 AM

I am installing two self amplifed Sirus subs- nothing fancy at all, but I can't handle the distortion anymore coming out of the 6.5's in the front. You might be right about the under seat sub though, I never noticed anything under there really.

How could I test for the low level output from the MCS?

I knew I would get a search comment, but I have been all over the search for a few days, and I find some helpful posts but nothing to back it up. I must be searching with the wrong terms. Do you also have the pin out for the back of the MCS so I knew what to tap? Figured you might have it handy?
Old 03-17-2007, 09:19 AM
Out Of Control!!

https://mbworld.org/forums/ml55-amg-ml63-amg-w163-w164/98924-vss-wire-reverse-wire-aftermarket-nav-units.html
Old 03-17-2007, 10:24 AM

Gotcha, since I have a 2000 (no nav, but I do have bose)... I should be looking at the pins that say rear left or right with Bose, not stock radio, since I have bose right? Seems easy enough,
thanks so much!