M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

98 Ml320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2002, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 Ml320

I bouhgt a 98 ML about 4 month ago. It's approaching 75K. The flexible service is counting down, about 2200 miles left. I'm enjoying the car so far. Everything works great except the glove compartment light stays on all the time and the turning signal stays on even after the turn.

I need some advice on 75K count down. I called the MB dealer to ask what should be done on 75K. Of course he suggested B Service. The cost about $350. Is this necessary?

Also, what can I do to make the ML go faster. Any aftermarket products out there. My dealer told me not to put anything in that car other than MB parts. Is this just a way for them to make more money, or should I really not put any aftermarket parts in to the ML. I would like to keep this car for a while, so i don't want to brake it by installing a bunch of aftermarket parts that are going to hurt the vehicle.

Need some advice.

Thank you.
Old 09-29-2002, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
Well first of all, congratulations on your purchase.

With regards to additional performance, there are many aftermarket tuners for MB vehicles. The dealer will always say not to do anything aftermarket to the car - just to cover themselves if you have a problem after installation of aftermarket parts.

The most popular tuners for MB are:

Brabus
Lorinser
Carlsson
RennTech
Kleemann

Other smaller companies include:

FAB Design
MS Design
Opera Design
WALD

However, in terms of performance tuning, none of this is cheap. Installation of a supercharger or other enhancements by one of these may cost thousands of dollars - which may be too much depending on your budget.

The ML has a driver-adaptive transmission - meaning that if you drive it harder, it will learn and react by giving you more performance (at the cost of gas mileage ). If that is not enough, then look at the tuners, but as with almost all other MB's and German luxury brands, engine tuning is not an inexpensive proposition, as it is in many Japanese cars (e.g. Honda), etc.

So if you are set on upgrading the performance on your ML, do some research online about the different tuners and their packages and then post and see what's right for your needs, etc.

Hope it helps.
Old 09-29-2002, 10:28 PM

Thanks for the reply. That's a lot of choices. I looked up a couple and the cheapest I found was $1500.

Do you know what the best one for the money is? I'm not talking about puttiing a turbo in the thing. Just some small upgrades, maybe an intake or something.

Has anyone had experience with upgrading a ML?

Thanks