M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Buying Advise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S430
Buying Advise

Hello,
I own a 2000 S430. Unfortunately I didn't find this forum until after I purchased. I was scared out of my mind when I read the horror stories. So this time I want to take advantage of all the expertise and experience. Can you please tell me what are some of the chronic issues with the SUVs? Is there a particular year I should stay away from? I am looking for a good 2003 up. Black or Silver. I see a lot of them on ebay and various auto sale shops with relative low miles. Do they cost as much as my S430 to maintain? Any advise you could provide on my quest would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by jmiaebrown
Hello,
I own a 2000 S430. Unfortunately I didn't find this forum until after I purchased. I was scared out of my mind when I read the horror stories. So this time I want to take advantage of all the expertise and experience. Can you please tell me what are some of the chronic issues with the SUVs? Is there a particular year I should stay away from? I am looking for a good 2003 up. Black or Silver. I see a lot of them on ebay and various auto sale shops with relative low miles. Do they cost as much as my S430 to maintain? Any advise you could provide on my quest would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
The newer the better the lower miles the better. way back in the day when I had my ML's it out of warranty it would cost about $1-2k a year to keep them running, I dumped the car after the A/C needed to be fixed then a few months later the power steering pump broke and in that short time the total bill was almost $3k. All Mercedes are expensive to keep going.

http://pointedthree.com/disc/forums/...splay.php?f=55

Check that site out they are the "ML" experts and have done almost anything you can think of and had almost any problem you can think of happen.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:08 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
currently drive the 83 300SD
2001/2002 and newer Benz ML's are pretty good, I agree, newer and the lower the mileage the better. It's the 98 to early 2001s that you wanted to stay away from so if you're looking 03 and newer it shouldn't be as big of an issue. I would advise AGAINST purchasing a mercedes from ebay, UNLESS it's local and you can go look at it with a "fine toothed comb". Don't buy any Mercedes without looking at it first...and if you don't trust your own judgement, than have your mechanic/technician you trust look at it. They'll be able to tell you if they think it's worth buying or "stay away!".
I'm not sure what problems/costs you had to deal with your 00 S430. But if you get one of the NEW SUVs, they also have airmatic now and shifters without linkage. I would recommend the W163 chassis ML.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:52 PM

ml320
ML Reliability - Its No Secret is you Surf.

Most of the consumers lists are the same.

Usually Mercedes M class is on Top of the unreliable list..

copy and paste from MSN.

These 2007 models earned the highest and lowest predicted-reliability ratings, based on CR's 2006 reliability survey. Models marked with (2006) have been redesigned for 2007. Models with * use data based on one model year only.

LOWEST --

MIDSIZED SUVS: Mercedes-Benz M-Class*, Land Rover LR3 (V8), Cadillac SRX (V8), Mercedes-Benz R-Class*, Volkswagen Touareg, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Hummer H3*, BMW X5 (V8, 2006), Volvo XC90 (6 & V8), Ford Explorer (V8), Mercury Mountaineer (V8).