M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

low range button flashes when starting up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
low range button flashes when starting up

i have 2000 ml320 and my low range light flashes every time i start my car has this ever happend to any one els
Old 06-05-2007, 12:49 AM

Flashing lowrange

My 03 did the same when the low range engagement motor stopped working. If yours will not go into low range then that could be the same issue.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:55 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
currently drive the 83 300SD
Try THIS...

Originally Posted by MBfan89
i have 2000 ml320 and my low range light flashes every time i start my car has this ever happend to any one els
Try this quick (no cost) fix. If this doesn't work you will probably need a new transfer case actuator motor, BUT, this usually works.

The actuator motor has "hall effect" sensors inside it so it knows what position it is in. Occasionally, it "forgets" where it is.. causing the light to flash every time you start your car.

Start your ML, after the low range light stops flashing; put the shifter in Neutral with your foot on the brake pedal. Press the 4Low (low range) button on your center dash. It should shift into low gear and the light should come on Solid in the cluster. Wait a second (if you want you can also shift the vehicle back into park and then return it to neutral) and then press the low range button AGAIN. It should now shift back into regular mode (4 high) and the light should go out in the cluster. Now shut the engine off, take the key out, put the key back in and start your engine. It should be fixed, the motor just needed to RE-learn it's position.

The dealer will charge you about 30 dollars to fix this, so if it works I just saved you some money.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:13 AM
Almost a Member!

its likely the transfer case..
Old 06-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by monsterinc714
its likely the transfer case..
It's more likely the actuator motor on the transfer case than the actual transfer case itself. Either way, let us know how you make out MBfan89!
Old 06-07-2007, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by Crazy MB Rob
Try this quick (no cost) fix. If this doesn't work you will probably need a new transfer case actuator motor, BUT, this usually works.

The actuator motor has "hall effect" sensors inside it so it knows what position it is in. Occasionally, it "forgets" where it is.. causing the light to flash every time you start your car.

Start your ML, after the low range light stops flashing; put the shifter in Neutral with your foot on the brake pedal. Press the 4Low (low range) button on your center dash. It should shift into low gear and the light should come on Solid in the cluster. Wait a second (if you want you can also shift the vehicle back into park and then return it to neutral) and then press the low range button AGAIN. It should now shift back into regular mode (4 high) and the light should go out in the cluster. Now shut the engine off, take the key out, put the key back in and start your engine. It should be fixed, the motor just needed to RE-learn it's position.

The dealer will charge you about 30 dollars to fix this, so if it works I just saved you some money.
Just a tip... Do this near the dealer or in the dealer parking lot or you will have a nice slow long drive to the dealer in low range if the motor ends up failing after it engages low range..
Old 06-11-2007, 01:49 AM
Almost a Member!

Any news yet? Hope you make out ok!