M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Electrical piece for the hitch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240 & 2003 ML320
Electrical piece for the hitch

I posted this on the MBNZ.org as well.

Does anyone know where I can get the electric harness that will work with the pre-wired unit on the ML 320? I got the Draw-Tite hitch but need the electrical harness now.

Better yet, does anyone know if I can cut the pre-wired unit and attach to any electrical harness? After all the pre-wires are probably just connections from the brake, power, and lights. Just assumming of course.

Thanks
Old 10-28-2002, 09:47 AM

ML 500
This is not as simple as you think. I have an '02 ML and it's "pre-wired" but it requires a module and harness. I got the MB one in the hitch kit so it was worth the $250 price. You can buy just the harness w/ module from MB for about $160, or from any reputable hitch installer - they carry an aftermarket kit w/ module and harness for ~$130. The factory kit is S W E E T! It is really worth the cash and no headaches. But if you are low on $ - try a hitch installer - but you will get hit for labor - their kit is NOT custom.

Good luck,

Joe
Old 10-28-2002, 11:59 AM

2002 C240 & 2003 ML320
You are right

After getting all the parts from Draw tite, I attempted to install it myself. You are right it is not so easy. Locating the correct wires was the challenge because there were other pre wires. I did not have the luxury to know what the female connector looked like. I had to crack open the side panels wide enough to gain access to the wires. I also had to loosen the wires so it had enough slack to work with. If I had to do it again, I would buy the oem hitch with the harness. Although, the satisfaction i got from doing it myself and saving money was also worth it.
Old 10-28-2002, 04:06 PM

2000 ML 320
get the real deal

I went ahead and drop the $250 on the factory kit. I installed it myself and it was easy and fun. I think it only took me about an hour and a half. The hardest part was the wiring harness. I just could get the darned thing to seat good. After a little fiddling and bleeding, it went in fine. The only draw back is that there was no fuse in the kit for the trailer lights. Don't be disappointed if you plug in the harness, hook up your boat and you can get any lights to come on. You just need the fuse. Look under the fuse box under your hood, behind the washer fluid.

Try putting on a factory brush gaurd and skid plate.......WITHOUT INSTRUCTIONS!!!!
Old 10-28-2002, 05:04 PM

2002 C240 & 2003 ML320
I did remember about the fuse. I got myself a test light to make sure everything worked. Went to U-haul and rented a trailer just to make sure everything was working correctly. Everything was good.

If anyone is interested here are the instructions I got from MLCharlie on the MBNZ.org forum:http://www.benzworld.org/forums/mess...8&id=21&view=t