M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

transmission problem, please help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission problem, please help!

Hi all, new to the site!
I was driving my 99 ml 320 the other day and noticed it would not go faster than 60km/h. I brought it to the dealer and was told the Electronic Selector Module and transmission needs to be replaced which will cost me $7000 total.

My question is, if it is the transmission would'nt it be impossible to drive even up to 60 km? just needs some opinions.

thanks!
Old 07-15-2007, 07:16 PM
Almost a Member!

1988 300E, 1973 450 sl, 1999 ML320, 1986 300E, 1985 190D
the anser is

no do to the trans and the hole car for that matter has a limp home mode and will go in to the fist and sencond. you myt try to take the car to the shop and have them do a trans flush. but you need to have the MB trans flued. do to the right stuff is hard to find, like the redline and others and then have the trans filter changed and then more MB atf. if that didnt work well then you know the trans is bad
Old 07-16-2007, 01:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Originally Posted by davethebenzman
no do to the trans and the hole car for that matter has a limp home mode and will go in to the fist and sencond. you myt try to take the car to the shop and have them do a trans flush. but you need to have the MB trans flued. do to the right stuff is hard to find, like the redline and others and then have the trans filter changed and then more MB atf. if that didnt work well then you know the trans is bad
For crying out loud Dave, if you're going to respond, at least don't do it when you're drunk or on something. Can you even read and understand what you just posted? Try again because I'm sure you're trying real hard to give some really good advice.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:20 PM

haha, thanks anyway. I can drive it still but there telliing me the transmission has to be replaced. Is it possible to even drive if it is the transmission?
Old 07-16-2007, 05:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
Originally Posted by redrush
I can drive it still but there telliing me the transmission has to be replaced. Is it possible to even drive if it is the transmission?
Yes, you can drive your vehicle under the conditions you describe. By your description, you're doing about 40 mph, tops. This could be the infamous 'Limp Mode'. To tell if you are in Limp Mode, from a dead stop, accelerate and count the number of gear changes the transmission performs. If it's one or two only, you're in Limp Mode. The transmission could still be used as long as the failure is not a major mechanical one. But I would advise against driving the vehicle any more than you have to.

I suspect the dealer wants to change both the Module and the Transmission because A) they are not be sure which is really bad, and B) both are expensive. Try to find a good independent repair shop and get a second opinion. You might be surprised. Regardless of how you proceed, good luck... and let us know how it works out.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:18 PM

its the transmission I was told which will cost me nearly $5000 and has nothing to do with the Electronic Selector Module.
Never will I buy a Mercedes again!!!!
Old 07-24-2007, 07:55 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
Look for a salvaged transmission...

Originally Posted by redrush
its the transmission I was told which will cost me nearly $5000 and has nothing to do with the Electronic Selector Module.
Never will I buy a Mercedes again!!!!

My friend's 2002 Mazda 626 just blew its tranny....the cars KBB value is $6000 and the tranny could run him $3000 or $2200 to rebuild. He has opted to settle for a salvaged transmission for around $750 instead...

If you get lucky, the salvaged tranny may last you forever, if you are still skeptical, most salvage tranny shops will sell you extended warranty on the tranny...
Old 09-25-2007, 06:32 PM

I got a new transmission and its now working fine...after $4800!

The funny thing is, is that one mercedes dealership told me I needed to replace the Electronic Module and the transmission.
I brought it to another Benz dealership and was told only the transmission needs to be changed!! I almost got ripped off.

Always go for a second opinion!