M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Rattle - replacing the idler pulley help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
Rattle - replacing the idler pulley help

Since I habitually post on this forum and I had no luck with the 'search' function, I figured I'll share for others' benefit. I do a lot of work on my father's ML and I do ALL my work on my C43.

Story is pop's ML 320 has a loud rattling sound and was able to pin point to a bad belt idler. The idler pulley rapidly moves from side-to-side to the rhythm of the aforementioned rattle.

So for those that might encounter this I post below. I have to credit 'benzworld' for the pics since I was unable to find elsewhere.

You don't need to remove the fan to remove this tensioner, just craw under the truck and turn the tensioner from under. There’s plenty of room - no need to remove any fan or any other parts if you only need to change out the tensioner or the belt. You’ll have to perform this task from underneath the truck. Do not tamper with the center Torx bolt, there is no need in order to release the tension. Also note, the above location for affixing the socket is casted in – it’s sole purpose is for taking the tension off of the belts for removal.

***THERE IS NO NEED FOR ANY SPECIAL TOOLS***

The picture below shows the updated idler, the old one has a cover hiding what looks like fins emanating from the center of the pulley.

Last edited by StapleGun; 07-22-2007 at 10:33 AM.