M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Spark plug on different side...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2007 | 11:25 AM

02ML320/06R350
Spark plug on different side...

would there be a problem if I put Bosch Platinum +2 on the driver side and Bosch Plat. OE on the passenger side. Or should I put it on like : 1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and 6. which one is which. thanks for your honest input. my ML has 68000 miles and I have the PO304 code and decided to repace the ignition wires and spark plug this coming weekend. I asked this cuz I already bought 6 Bosch Plat. +2 (thats all they have) and will be ordering from AutoHauzAz today for Ignition wires and sBosch spark plug (OE).
Old 08-20-2007 | 11:43 PM

'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
Originally Posted by dewdaltz
would there be a problem if I put Bosch Platinum +2 on the driver side and Bosch Plat. OE on the passenger side. Or should I put it on like : 1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and 6. which one is which. thanks for your honest input. my ML has 68000 miles and I have the PO304 code and decided to repace the ignition wires and spark plug this coming weekend. I asked this cuz I already bought 6 Bosch Plat. +2 (thats all they have) and will be ordering from AutoHauzAz today for Ignition wires and sBosch spark plug (OE).
The question dares to be asked... Why on Earth would you even want to consider putting in multple types/models of plugs at the same time?!?

Why not wait until your dearler, store, whatever gets in a full set of one type/model of plugs? I would hate to imagine your engine management computer trying to keep up with the different combinations.
Old 08-21-2007 | 09:06 AM

ML
Hey Dew, what's up? This not an experiment I'd attempt. However, if you go Bosch's web site and get info on the plugs, you'll probably see that it's not such a good idea. If the heat ranges are same (and I doubt that very much) and the performance curves are same, Bosch would not give them different designations. Read the plug designations and you'll notice that those for the ML are quite specific. You decide after being thoroughly informed. I don't think it's worth the headache.

Last edited by Darkmann; 08-21-2007 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-22-2007 | 01:40 AM

02ML320/06R350
I know, it is not right to just replace just two of twelve plugs. Anyway, everything went so good no cuts and bruises - replaced the remaining 10 and also changed the spark plug wire AND the ML runs smooooooooooooth. tommorrow gonna change also the air filter. thanks for all the feedbacks.
Old 08-22-2007 | 11:09 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 ML320
and also changed the spark plug wire AND the ML runs smooooooooooooth. tommorrow gonna change also the air filter. thanks for all the feedbacks.

Hey dewdaltz, when you removed your old spark plug wires, did you hear a snap when disconnecting the wire from the coilpack? Also, when connecting each new wire to the coilpack, did you hear a snap? I'm curious because when I removed one of my wires, I unsnapped it from the coilpack, but couldn't get it to snap back in place when re-connecting it.
Old 08-22-2007 | 11:27 AM

02ML320/06R350
Originally Posted by rich96
Hey dewdaltz, when you removed your old spark plug wires, did you hear a snap when disconnecting the wire from the coilpack? Also, when connecting each new wire to the coilpack, did you hear a snap? I'm curious because when I removed one of my wires, I unsnapped it from the coilpack, but couldn't get it to snap back in place when re-connecting it.
At first, I was trying to remove it by hands - no luck ! So I bought the special tools from MB (p/n 103589003700) spark plug connector removal pliers it was that easy. Yes, I heard a snap when disconnecting AND putting it back. Your gauge should be the rubber more or less hits the uppermost of the coil pack. And also you will hear a snap when putting the wire plug set to the spark plug. Hope this help.
Attached Thumbnails Spark plug on different side...-mb-pliers.jpg  

Last edited by dewdaltz; 08-22-2007 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-22-2007 | 11:47 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 ML320
At first, I was trying to remove it by hands - no luck ! So I bought the special tools from MB (p/n 103589003700) spark plug connector removal pliers it was that easy. Yes, I heard a snap when disconnecting AND putting it back. Your gauge should be the rubber more or less hits the uppermost of the coil pack. And also you will hear a snap when putting the wire plug set to the spark plug. Hope this help.
Thanks. So when using that tool, did you have to twist the rubber part of the spark plug wire left and right while removing it and connecting it to the coilpack, or did you just pull it straight out and push it straight in? Also, did you remove the coilpack while doing this, or did you just leave it attached to the engine bay? How much does that tool sell for, by the way?
Old 08-22-2007 | 12:25 PM

02ML320/06R350
Originally Posted by rich96
Thanks. So when using that tool, did you have to twist the rubber part of the spark plug wire left and right while removing it and connecting it to the coilpack, or did you just pull it straight out and push it straight in? Also, did you remove the coilpack while doing this, or did you just leave it attached to the engine bay? How much does that tool sell for, by the way?
A little wiggling while pulling down and vice-versa. I did remove the coil packs one at a time, so not to interchange them. the price I paid around $40.00 (cannot wait to order online) from the MB dealer. really worth when you have 65000 miles or higher. dealer quoted me $1000.00 for tune-up plus tax (7%).
Old 08-22-2007 | 02:30 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 ML320
Your gauge should be the rubber more or less hits the uppermost of the coil pack.
I was able to push the rubber part of the spark plug wire until it hit the uppermost part of the coilpack, but for the life of me I couldn't get it to "snap". I tried to pull it back out and it seemed tight, so I just left it at that. I've had no problems in the past 1000 miles, but I'm thinking I might need to buy that special tool you have to try to "snap" it back into the coilpack. What do you think?