M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Halogen headlight socket melting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 320
Halogen headlight socket melting

I have a 2002 ML 320 with standard halogen headlights and noticed this weekend that my passengers side low beam headlight had gone out. I replaced it with the recommended bulb in the manual and it came back on. I did notice as I replaced it that it appeared to have some signs of melting on the outside. Yesterday I noticed that it was out again. When I opened the hood I could smell burning plastic. I pulled out the socket and removed the bulb to find that the socket is melting around the two connection receptacles. I called the dealer here in Dallas and they told me that it was common problem, but to fix it I would need to buy the entire headlight assembly in order to get the socket.

Does anyone know of a place that I can buy just the socket?

I was also curious as to why this would just melt. It has been extremely hot here (100s), but the air temperature did not seem like it would cause this. I was wondering if anyone knew if this is a symptom of a larger problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 08-30-2007, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 320
Found the part

I was able to locate the part through Mercedes Parts Superstore. The person who was helping me there found the part right off and knew exactly what I was needing. It turns out the dealer will sell those individually without having to buy the entire assembly. If anyone ever needs it the part number is 2108200013. Also, the people at Mercedes Parts Superstore were incredibly helpful and knowledgeable.