M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Strange Gremlins

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2007 | 05:30 PM

1999 ML320
Strange Gremlins

Hey all, first post on the site. My wife has a '99 ML 320 that has had some strange issues over the last few weeks. First, the driver's window would go down but have trouble coming back up - when you held the switch, the window would go up about an inch, and that was it for about ten minutes and you'd just have to keep trying. It would take a couple hours to get it all the way back up (sometimes over the course of a few days). Then, the compass/fuel computer in the overhead console stopped working. About the same time, we noticed the radio would stay on when the car was completely off. This all seems electrical, so I checked the fuse panel, but don't really know what I'm doing. Any ideas?

To make matters worse, the check engine light came on three days ago. I doubt it's related to the other issues, but the engine is running fine. Would disconnecting the battery reset the light? Is this a dumb idea?

Thanks in advance for any insight or advice.
Old 10-22-2007 | 04:23 PM

w163 ML270 CDI Inspiration
I had a similar problem with my ML270. Bought replacement switches from E-Bay and fitted them - problem fixed. When I took out the old ones it was clear that a liquid had been spilt above the switches at some stage and I suspect that this was the cause of the problems (there was a lot of gunge around them that was not evident until I took out the switch panel)