M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Upgrades and Modifications on 2002 ML500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2007 | 07:27 AM

2002 ML500 Sport
Upgrades and Modifications on 2002 ML500

Hello I am new to this Forum and I just purchased a black 2002 ML500 with sport package. (picture attached) Im looking to upgrade my wheels. I like 5 spoke 19 or 20's any suggestions on brand and good sites to buy from? has anyone here put black rims on there ML?

Are there any other upgrade / modification you have done to yours that you like and can suggest like new grills, Cup holders, shifter knob, center console etc.

Will parts on the 2006 to present fit on the 2002?

Tks

send any pictures to omar@piranajoe.com
Attached Thumbnails Upgrades and Modifications on 2002 ML500-ml500.jpg   Upgrades and Modifications on 2002 ML500-2002-ml500.jpg  
Old 11-25-2007 | 12:31 PM

ml55, Ml63, Porsche, C63S ED1
this weekend i'm officially begining the upgrades of my 2002 ML500. I'll post pics of what I can get in the next two weeks.
Old 11-25-2007 | 07:25 PM

2002 ML500 Sport
Great,
looking fwd to it.
What do you plasn on doing?
Old 11-25-2007 | 08:07 PM

i am planning to put the ML55 body kit, wheels, suspension and dual exhaust.

So far I got the Billsteins on order, the AMG Body Kit on Order, and the Exhaust on Order. I anticipate them all to be in within 2 weeks and ready for install.

Hopefully if phase one goes well, I will get the Kleeman SC before year end.

In case anyone is curious to know why suddenly I want to completely mod the car, I was so close to selling the ML500 but after seeing what I paid from the dealer in 02 (~$50k + maintenance over the years), I rather get my full depreciation by adding a few more dollars to get at least 3 years more interest out of it.

My options were as follows:

1) Keep the car as is and always having the thought of what if, and stressed of thought of when I'd get a newer car and how much fun the newer more spirited cars are.

Back in 02, the ML500 was near the peak of it's class in terms of performance, aside from the ML55 both being a sub 16sec 1/4 mile SUV under 7 sec 0-60. Having 300hp today is nothing compared to what it was 4-5 years ago. Todays standards it's lucky if it can meet the bottom line ML350's performance numbers. To feel like you have a really fast car these days you need at least 450hp

2) I trade my ML500 for a ML55. I would pay at least $15k for a comparable condition ML55 2002+, and it wouldn't still be up to today's standards, as an ML550 has 40+hp than a ML55. Plus I buy into the uncertainty of a used car vs a car I've owned since day one and know all the problems it has and it may potentially have as I'm the one who drove it. I would feel better making repairs to the cause & effect to something I did vs someone else's. In short I wouldn't still be satisfied with a trade in.

3) Buy a new ML550. I calculated a new ML550 would cost at least $65k out the door with tax, my ML is worth $12-15k at most. I would be in debt or short $50k if I get a new car, and probably would get tired of it in 4-5 years losing $40k over that period of time with it's depreciation. I would probably be in the same situation several years after that.

4) Mod the ML for $15k, get something better than the ML55 (same looks, but faster better performance), more power & faster than the ML550, and save $35k. I'm not concerned about money lost on depreciation in comparing it to an ML55 because in 3 years both cars will be worth less than $10k anyhow.

Hopefully my experience can help someone in the same situation contemplating what to do with their boring ML500 would go this route. Many people have told me to save the money but truthfully I admit if we weren't so into our cars and trying to make the best choice or fix for them, then these forums wouldn't exist.
Old 11-25-2007 | 09:02 PM

ML
Originally Posted by ruey220
i am planning to put the ML55 body kit, wheels, suspension and dual exhaust.

2) I trade my ML500 for a ML55. I would pay at least $15k for a comparable condition ML55 2002+, and it wouldn't still be up to today's standards, as an ML550 has 40+hp than a ML55. Plus I buy into the uncertainty of a used car vs a car I've owned since day one and know all the problems it has and it may potentially have as I'm the one who drove it. I would feel better making repairs to the cause & effect to something I did vs someone else's. In short I wouldn't still be satisfied with a trade in.

3) Buy a new ML550. I calculated a new ML550 would cost at least $65k out the door with tax, my ML is worth $12-15k at most. I would be in debt or short $50k if I get a new car, and probably would get tired of it in 4-5 years losing $40k over that period of time with it's depreciation. I would probably be in the same situation several years after that.

4) Mod the ML for $15k, get something better than the ML55 (same looks, but faster better performance), more power & faster than the ML550, and save $35k. I'm not concerned about money lost on depreciation in comparing it to an ML55 because in 3 years both cars will be worth less than $10k anyhow....
Seems like you have this all well thought out - good for you. Here's where I think you'll run into a wall: there's really only one ML modifier than can do a great job turning a 500 to better than a 55 in both performance and looks. Even if you do get the mods done, from the sounds of it, you'll get bored in a few years and you'll be looking for a new project. I agree with whoever the rest are that you should be patient and keep the dough, then get a ML63, period!!!!!!! If you feel really itchy, do the body mods on the 500 (what the hell is a ML55 body kit BTW?????), forgo the engine mods for more HP - not worth it - and drive for a few years while saving for the 63 or 64 or whatever they'll have then. I gotta tell you, I love my 500 but after seeing a GL550 today with the AMG 21 inch rims, I was almost converted,......, until I say the all chrome roof rack - yuckkkkkyyyyy, blingggyyy, then I saw all that chrome up front and to turn me off completely, the sticker was something like WWWWAAYYY TOOOOO MUUUUUCCCHHH money given the posted MPG. Nice, but not for me as MB slowly prices itself out of the market.
Old 11-25-2007 | 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Darkmann
Seems like you have this all well thought out - good for you. Here's where I think you'll run into a wall: there's really only one ML modifier than can do a great job turning a 500 to better than a 55 in both performance and looks. Even if you do get the mods done, from the sounds of it, you'll get bored in a few years and you'll be looking for a new project. I agree with whoever the rest are that you should be patient and keep the dough, then get a ML63, period!!!!!!! If you feel really itchy, do the body mods on the 500 (what the hell is a ML55 body kit BTW?????), forgo the engine mods for more HP - not worth it - and drive for a few years while saving for the 63 or 64 or whatever they'll have then. I gotta tell you, I love my 500 but after seeing a GL550 today with the AMG 21 inch rims, I was almost converted,......, until I say the all chrome roof rack - yuckkkkkyyyyy, blingggyyy, then I saw all that chrome up front and to turn me off completely, the sticker was something like WWWWAAYYY TOOOOO MUUUUUCCCHHH money given the posted MPG. Nice, but not for me as MB slowly prices itself out of the market.
you hit the nail in the head when you said i'd get bored with it in a few years...I expect at least 3 years on it if the engine and tranny would hold out that long, or at least 120k miles whichever comes first. I don't feel right to let go of the car at 80k miles, that's like almost 85 cents a mile with the amount I spent on it so far, price tag & maintenance. I figure $20k from here on this car, (maintenance & upcoming mods inlcluded) that's around 65 cents a mile from the life of the car which isn't too bad for the price of fun. Hopefully in 3 years the $30k I would have deferred from buying a new car can increase at a ~10% per annum while the ML63 depreciates at 20% per annum, then i'd move over to that or probably buy whatever is out there at that point with a down payment of $40k or so.

I know I sound silly thinking too much about the numbers as cars are not investments, but I'm just a working man like everyone else and realized I probably could have an extra house or two if I didn't spend too much money on cars in the past. Everything for me now has to be that calculated.

I like your advice about not doing the engine mods (my credit card would love that), but my problem is that the 500 Mercedes engine roars like it wants to move, but because of the ML's weight it's way too slow for what the 500 badge was once known for.
Old 12-18-2007 | 07:09 AM

2002 ML500
My 02 ML500 Just hit 150K miles and It is still running great and very dependable. Except for wear and tear and minor stuff it is a very good truck don't be suprised if you get a lot out of it.
Old 12-18-2007 | 12:40 PM

my97 porsche 993 | my05 porsche cayenne s | sis's: my02 merc ml500
Originally Posted by JM15
My 02 ML500 Just hit 150K miles and It is still running great and very dependable. Except for wear and tear and minor stuff it is a very good truck don't be suprised if you get a lot out of it.
that's good news... my sis's ml500 just hit the 80s & runs strong, still plenty of power on fwys, etc. is still a beautiful suv too.