M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Gear Stuck in D,repaired and down again.HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W163 ml 400 cdi ,R170 SLK 200 Kompressor 192HP!
Gear Stuck in D,repaired and down again.HELP!

HI there,
i am having a problem here with my ML400 CDI.
the car is a 2003 model with 125.000km no towing,just highway travels.
last time i forgot the top closure of the oil,above the engine and after 200km the oil light came on,and the comp asked me to put 1,5 liter of oil.I stoped at a gas station,filled the oil and contiuned my trip.have in mind that the engine was pouring hot oil.i continued my journey and after another 150km i stoped to have a coffee.turned the engine off and left it to chill out for about half an hour.
then i started and after 500meters the car would not change gear.it stuck at D,it would not lower gear.same thing in the low range mode.it kept going with 40km per hour stuck at 1sth or second gear,D in the display.if i would turn off the engine and then turn on,the car would work for 5 minutes then stuck to D and the same.Got it to the dealer and he changed the ECU ,about 10 valves and the car was OK.I suspected a difficulty changing gear,it would do it at 3000rpm while other times at lower rpms,but did not bother though it was my idea.
it was in the service 3 months and i was driving a manual slk ,so could not remember the behaviour of the ml.
The service bit was 1100euros about 1500dollars.
I started my journey,everything OK ,and about 250km same thing.Stuck to D.only this time it would stuck to D from the first run,and the car had much difficulty to move.
stopped to a gas station .the car was smelling ,and the oil from the drive shaft were pouring below.engine temptrature 90-95 celsious .this was not engine oil,it was the gears oil.took it to the dealer and he tells me that the whole gear box is melted ,about 8000e repair(10000 dollars).Was this their fault as no other time gear box oil poured from the transmision box.why no kind of transmission light came on the display as the engine oil did previously?
i suspect they did not screw right the gearbox or the vlaves ,the oil got out,and the gear burnt because of no oil.they changed valves,ECU (electronic management ,and the pump of the transmisiion.) have they changed the transmission oil as well.
any clue?did they ruin my car,cause i dont want to beleive that an automatic mercedes w163 gear box melts down out of high way usage after 125.000km.
any help?how should i react?
also forgot to tell you that the transmission flywheel and the torque converter are melted as well.

Last edited by AmiJIm; 12-02-2007 at 09:39 AM.