M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

first impressions of our 2000 ml320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 320
first impressions of our 2000 ml320

O.k first off the back , Don't have pics but I will soon. The colour? I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO CALL IT... sometimes it looks dark navy blie other times it lookslike it is a real dark green, sometimes if black (ANYONE ELSE HAVE THAT COLOUR?)

Now for my first day impression, THIS THING LOVES FUEL!!WOW, i mean i filled the tank with gas, started driving the thing; and i swear i could see the fuel gange needle move , by the time we got home 1/2hr to 45min away the tank was showing a little over half..like i said WOW.why is this thing so bad on fuel??
Overall what can i say for the first day with it, nice truck pretty tall though, you really are sitting up high, the manual mode is fun (all our other cars are manual) can't say i feel confident taking corners yet, seems the suspension is not as stiff as i would have liked, ..I like the head unit(except 6 cd player in back) is there a way to hook up nav?,phone and all the other stuff thats there?, Overall nice power, looks nice, (i like the frt better than the back) but I will be able to give a better review in a week after playing around with it...
Old 12-05-2007, 09:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1990 190E 2.6, ... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
It sounds like you have the common fuel gage problem not reading correctly. The fuel gage sender is located inside the fule pump which is inside the fuel tank so it is not an easy or cheep fix. Just keep an eye on it to see if that is your problem. I get about 17 - 18 MPG with my ML320. Much less with my ML500.

The nav unit is just a module that fits into the MCS (radio) already installed. Many are availabel on EBAY but be careful, many are defective units. There are two versions, the CD version which requires about 10 CD and the other is the DVD unit that only requires one DVD for all of the US and Canada.
Definately go with the DVD unit. Both will fit any year MCS unit. The latest DVD is only $200 US from NavTeq. You will also need a nav antenna and there are several alternatives to the Mercedes factury antenna although the factory antenna wiring should already be there. Check this forum and other ML forums for information on installing the Nav unit. There is a lot of good information out there. I'm sure other members will help you with this.

You don't want the Phone module - it's very outdated and in my opinion it's crap.

As for handling my 98ML is stiffer than the 05ML but both handle well and you will be throwing it around as soon as you get used to the handling. I think you will find the suspension will be as stiff as you want it to be. I think any stiffer would make it uncomfortable as a daily driver.

Good luck with your new vehicle. I love both of my ML's.
Mike

Last edited by Mike's ML; 12-05-2007 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:29 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 ML320 fully loaded except the damn navigation sytem.
im glad you like it. The fuel issue just might be a problem. If you just bought it then i would inquire about that if you still have a 30 day warranty from the seller. That will run you around 9-1200 from the dealer, because it can and will get worse to where the needle just drops to E from F in like 5 minutes. The suspension is very stiff to me, my wife hates it because she says she feel every bump in the road compared to her accord, but i dont mind at all. Also im in the same boat as you about getting the nav drive and such, but they usually run you around 3-500 dollars off of ebay and you must pray that its in working condtion. So i havent done that yet.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:06 AM

02 ML320 Sport, 04 350z,06 E350 4matic
Congrats on your purchase.