M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Hello..and help! ml270 won't start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 03:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml270cdi
Hello..and help! ml270 won't start

....and the mb garage don't seem to have a clue!

Hello All, first post here looks like a great site.

I've got a recurring problem with my 2002 ml270cdi 60,000 miles and wonder if anyone else has experienced this.

Its 3/4 full of fuel, full power battery, turns over fine but just won't fire. this has happend 3 times now, first time the MB garage said it had run out of fuel, but gauge sender unit was faulty (apparently a known issue...) they replaced gauge and then it happened again.....back to the garage they put an air compressor on fuel system and it started fine. couple of weeks later took 5 starts to fire and get going and was fine for a while....couple of weeks after that will not start at all. So before i go back to the dealer, wonder if anyone can offer any advice.

I thought all the recent MB diesels were self bleeding...if they are why do you think it won't start even if theres fuel in it? do the sequence of issues point to a dodgy fuel pump/send unit? any other possible culptrits?

Thanks all for your help

regards
Paul
Old 02-25-2008, 04:20 PM

ML350cdi 2010
ML270 wont start

I had a similar problem...
My problem was solved when I replaced the small seals (about 20 cents ea.) in the fuel line that connects the fuel filter (on top of the engine) to the fuel pump at the front of the engine.
My 2002 ML270 used to start almost immediately. Then it became harder and harder to start, especially in the morning. Because the old seals (O rings) lost their ability to keep an airtight seal, the fuel would slowly drain out of the fuel line and would take a fair bit of cranking to pump it back. Once the new seals were installed... bingo, back to normal.
The new seals I installed were a different colour, and so I assume they have been updated/improved.
Be careful when you remove the fuel line. They are simply attached via a plastic clip which will break if you force it or try and wrestle it off the wrong way.

Hope this helps...
Old 02-28-2008, 04:53 AM

ml270cdi
thanks Bd.....certainly pointed me in the right direction! Seems the plastic lines leading to the fuel have gone brittle and cracked, allowing air in, causing a bubble and preventing it starting. Also got htem to change the old seals while they were at it.

really appreciate the tip - they were about to start removing the secondary tank as they kept blaming that so you saved me a fortune!