M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Audio10 removal - Do I need to remove the plastic surround?...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio10 removal - Do I need to remove the plastic surround?...

Hey guys, ive got a 2001 ML270cdi (uk) that has the audio10 single din head unit installed.

The cd player is acting up so I want to replace it. Ive done a search on this site and understand I need the keys like any other radio would, BUT when I look at the HU there doesnt seem to be any space either side of the radio for the keys to fit.

Do I need to remove the plastic surround first?? (the bit the surrounds the radio and the two switches on the left).

On a side note, how easy will it be to fit a new HU in the pace below the original radio (at the moment theres just a plastic tray filling the second din space).

I want to fit a single din DVD player with pull out screen in the second space. If I fit it in the first din space, the screen will block the vents.

Thanks guys
tbip2001
Old 03-26-2008, 12:19 AM

German karts
I have ML320 with the same audio10. The CD changer ****ed up and I replaced the head unit with one that support iPod instead since Mercedes wanted to charge me $600 for the changer. I believe the removal key slots are on the bottom buttons (Button with music notes symbol and "PTY" button), there is a thin horizontal slot on it.
I had my audio shop worked on it and I didn't actually see them step by step while removing it, but I don't think they removed the black plastic surround.
I hope this helps
Old 03-26-2008, 05:43 AM

Many thanks for taking the time to reply mate.

Jusrt before i read your reply, I realised where the removal slots were! lol

I have ordered some keys from MB, so will see how I get on.

Do you know if Merc use ISO connector on the audio 10? if so, it should be easier to replace with a a normal hU.

many thanks again
James
tbip2001
Old 03-28-2008, 02:10 AM

German karts
Ah, glad that you figure that out

Honestly, i'm not sure what type of connector they have since the installation was done by the audio guy.
If it helps, here is picture of the back of my audio10 HU