M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Help.. inconsistent low oil level warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 05:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
German karts
Help.. inconsistent low oil level warning

I was driving on twisty mountain roads today, with combination of uphill and downhill, plus not so smooth roads.

On my way back home, all of sudden, the low oil warning light came on along with a warning buzzer beeping once. After about a minute or two, it goes out. (I read the manual, and it is supposed to do that if the oil level drops below low level). After a while, the light went on again.. then went out. And then about 15 mins after, the buzzer beeped, but no light, instead "Oil Hi" is shown on the assyst display. I kept driving, then the message dissapeared for about a minute, then the buzzer beeped again, along with Low oil warning light, and "- 2.0L" appeared.

I was like.. first, it says oil drops below low level, then it says oil level is too high, and then it says 2 litres of oil needs to be added???

I was very close to home when this start acting up, so i went on driving slowly. When I'm home, I park the car on the garage (which is perfectly level), and i let it sit for 5 mins or so. I checked the dipstick, it is 3/4 full between the max and min level. Then i do the oil check thru assyst, it says oil level is normal.

Whats wrong with it????

I tried searching on this matter, got a hit on W210 forum, but then there is no real answer to the problem..
Old 03-30-2008, 07:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
Originally Posted by mklasse
I was driving on twisty mountain roads today, with combination of uphill and downhill, plus not so smooth roads.

On my way back home, all of sudden, the low oil warning light came on along with a warning buzzer beeping once. After about a minute or two, it goes out. (I read the manual, and it is supposed to do that if the oil level drops below low level). After a while, the light went on again.. then went out. And then about 15 mins after, the buzzer beeped, but no light, instead "Oil Hi" is shown on the assyst display. I kept driving, then the message dissapeared for about a minute, then the buzzer beeped again, along with Low oil warning light, and "- 2.0L" appeared.

I was like.. first, it says oil drops below low level, then it says oil level is too high, and then it says 2 litres of oil needs to be added???

I was very close to home when this start acting up, so i went on driving slowly. When I'm home, I park the car on the garage (which is perfectly level), and i let it sit for 5 mins or so. I checked the dipstick, it is 3/4 full between the max and min level. Then i do the oil check thru assyst, it says oil level is normal.

Whats wrong with it????

I tried searching on this matter, got a hit on W210 forum, but then there is no real answer to the problem..
Probably a faulty Oil Level Sensor. As long as you check the oil with the dipstick you'll be okay. I believe the oil pan has to be removed to replace the sensor. My 2 cents.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
German karts
Thanks azinn.

I checked the assyst for next service due, it is for another 6000km. Would it be safe to wait for the next oil service to replace the oil level sensor?
Old 03-31-2008, 07:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
Originally Posted by mklasse
Thanks azinn.

I checked the assyst for next service due, it is for another 6000km. Would it be safe to wait for the next oil service to replace the oil level sensor?

Should be safe to drive forever, as long as you check the oil level on a regular basis.