M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Strange driveline noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange driveline noise

My ML-320 has developed a strange drive line noise. It is apparent at most speeds, and is speed dependent. It happens at the same rate whether the car is in gear or in neutral and at idle. It sounds almost like a softer version of a baseball card in the bike spokes thing we did as kids. Listening while in a parking lot I determined that it is making the sound faster than the rate the wheels turn, so I assume something with the drive shaft. I have been under looking for something obvious, but I don't see anything.

Any ideas where I should look next?
Old 04-25-2008, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
Originally Posted by Avec
My ML-320 has developed a strange drive line noise. It is apparent at most speeds, and is speed dependent. It happens at the same rate whether the car is in gear or in neutral and at idle. It sounds almost like a softer version of a baseball card in the bike spokes thing we did as kids. Listening while in a parking lot I determined that it is making the sound faster than the rate the wheels turn, so I assume something with the drive shaft. I have been under looking for something obvious, but I don't see anything.

Any ideas where I should look next?
Changing the fluid in the Transfer Case might solve the problem. See http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163...id-change.html
Old 04-25-2008, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing the transfer case fluid does seem to have helped. Thanks for the link.