M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

1999 ML320 Trunk Space

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
1999 ML320 Trunk Space

Hi guys,

I have a question around the maximum box size that can fit in the ML trunk (with the seats down of course). We have an 1999 ML320, but my brother-in-law has borrowed it for the last week. We will picking it up tomorrow as I need to pickup an item that my wife purchased. This item is in a box that is 30"x30"x30". Will this fit in the back of the ML320? Normally I would go out and measure it, but we don't have the car right now and the brother-in-law is just a tad bit lazy. And I don't want to get to the pickup location only to find out that it doesn't fit (especially given the cost of gas).

Can any of you ML owners confirm whether this box will fit in the back area of this SUV?

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
Originally Posted by Juicy
Hi guys,

I have a question around the maximum box size that can fit in the ML trunk (with the seats down of course). We have an 1999 ML320, but my brother-in-law has borrowed it for the last week. We will picking it up tomorrow as I need to pickup an item that my wife purchased. This item is in a box that is 30"x30"x30". Will this fit in the back of the ML320? Normally I would go out and measure it, but we don't have the car right now and the brother-in-law is just a tad bit lazy. And I don't want to get to the pickup location only to find out that it doesn't fit (especially given the cost of gas).

Can any of you ML owners confirm whether this box will fit in the back area of this SUV?

Thanks.
It will fit with room to spare. My 2 cents.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
Originally Posted by azinn
It will fit with room to spare. My 2 cents.
Thanks Azinn. Appreciate the response. I'm heading up there shortly.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:15 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
I had the same problem when I found that 50" flat panel TV deal..

I didn't have the ML with me, and Compusa was running the close out sale on everything.

50" plasma HDTV for $999 was too good to pass by...but I was not sure if the 37" tall TV will fit in my ML...the fact that plasmas have to be transported vertically, means that I had to put the TV vertical in the ML cargo area...

I called their 24 hour support line 1-800-FOR-MERC, but they couldn't help me with the exact dimensional specfics of the cargo area, except for the our all cu. ft. volume..

Anyways, after some research on the internet, I found a document that had a lot of detailed specs on the W163 dimensions including a specific section for the cargo area..

This is what it read, and yes, the 37" tall TV went in nicely...

• CARGO AREA DIMENSIONS: LENGTH (INCHES): 42.8, HEIGHT (INCHES): 40.4, LOADING FLOOR HEIGHT (INCHES): 28, LOADSPACE VOLUME (CU FT): 85.4

Hope that helps..

and yes, below, is the entire spec. document..

2000 Mercedes-Benz M-Class
• FUEL ECONOMY EPA HIGHWAY (MPG): 21 AND EPA CITY (MPG): 17
• REMOTE POWER LOCKS
• FRONT POWER WINDOWS WITH ONE ONE-TOUCH, REAR POWER WINDOWS
• CRUISE CONTROL
• FOUR-WHEEL ABS
• FOUR DISC BRAKES INCLUDING TWO VENTILATED DISCS
• DRIVER FRONT AIRBAG, PASSENGER FRONT AIRBAG WITH OCCUPANT SENSORS
• FRONT SIDE AIRBAG WITH OCCUPANT SENSORS
• MANUFACTURER'S OWN STEREO AUDIO SYSTEM WITH AM/FM, CASSETTE AND SEARCH/REPEAT
• ELECTRONIC TRACTION CONTROL
• TINTED GLASS ON CABIN, REAR AND SIDE
• FRONT AND REAR ALLOY WHEELS WITH 16 INCH RIM DIAM AND 8 INCH RIM WIDTH
• TWIN CONVENTIONAL LENS HALOGEN BULB HEADLIGHTS
• REAR FOG LIGHTS
• REMOVABLE ROOF RAILS
• EXTERNAL TEMPERATURE DIGITAL DISPLAY
• TACHOMETER
• PERFORMANCE: MAXIMUM SPEED (MPH): 112 AND ACCELERATION 0-60 MPH (SECS): 9
• DRIVER AND PASSENGER POWER HEATED BLACK DOOR MIRRORS
• MECHANICAL FOLDABLE MIRRORS
• ZONE TINTED WINDSHIELD
• FIXED REAR WINDOW WITH DEFOGGER AND INTERMITTENT
• FOUR SPEAKER(S)
• WATER TEMPERATURE GAUGE
• LOW OIL LEVEL WARNING
• LOW COOLANT LEVEL WARNING
• HEADLIGHT ON WARNING SOUND
• CELLULAR PHONE PREPARATION
• FRONT AND REAR READING LIGHTS
• SERVICE INTERVAL INDICATOR
• REMOTE CONTROL ANTI-THEFT PROTECTION
• CLOTH SEAT UPHOLSTERY WITH ADDITIONAL VINYL
• BUCKET RECLINING DRIVER AND PASSENGER SEAT WITH HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT
• THREE ASYMMETRICAL SPLIT BENCH FRONT FACING REAR SEATS WITH FORE/AFT ADJUSTMENT
• PLASTIC STEERING WHEEL WITH TILT ADJUSTMENT
• POWER STEERING
• AIR CONDITIONING
• DELAYED/FADE COURTESY LIGHTS
• ILLUMINATED ENTRY SYSTEM
• CARGO AREA LIGHT
• CARGO CAPACITY: ALL SEATS IN PLACE (CU FT): 40.4 AND ALL SEATS REMOVED (CU FT): 85.4
• REAR LIFT GATE CARGO DOORS
• EMISSION CONTROL LEVEL FED
• PREMIUM UNLEADED FUEL
• 19 GALLON FUEL TANK
• PARTIAL DIGITAL DASHBOARD
• ONE ODOMETER
• OIL PRESSURE WARNING LIGHT
• LOW FUEL LEVEL WARNING
• LOW WASHER FLUID LEVEL WARNING
• DIGITAL CLOCK
• PLASTIC DOOR PANEL TRIM
• TWO HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE HEAD RESTRAINTS ON FRONT SEATS WITH ROTATIONAL ADJUSTMENT, THREE HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE HEAD RESTRAINTS ON REAR SEATS WITH ROTATIONAL ADJUSTMENT
• FRONT SEAT CENTER ARMREST WITH INTEGRAL BOX
• WISHBONE FRONT SUSPENSION INDEPENDENT WITH STABILIZER BAR AND TORSION SPRINGS, WISHBONE REAR SUSPENSION INDEPENDENT WITH STABILIZER BAR AND COIL SPRINGS
• VENTILATION SYSTEM WITH FOUR FAN SPEEDS, RECIRCULATION SETTING AND MICRO FILTER
• WINDSHIELD WIPERS WITH FIXED INTERMITTENT WIPE
• SPACESAVER STEEL RIM UNDER BODY SPARE WHEEL
• PART GALVANIZED NON-CORROSIVE BODY
• BLACK GRILLE
• FULL DASHBOARD CONSOLE WITH OPEN STORAGE BOX, FULL FLOOR CONSOLE WITH COVERED STORAGE BOX, PARTIAL OVERHEAD CONSOLE
• ELECTRICAL SYSTEM WARNING LIGHT
• KEY-IN-IGNITION WARNING SOUND
• 4WD ENGAGEMENT INDICATOR
• WEIGHTS: GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT RATING (LBS) 6,005, CURB WEIGHT (LBS) 4,387, GROSS TRAILER WEIGHT BRAKED (LBS) 5,000 AND MAX PAYLOAD (LBS) 2,113
• EXTERNAL DIMENSIONS: OVERALL LENGTH (INCHES): 180.6, OVERALL WIDTH (INCHES): 72.2, OVERALL HEIGHT (INCHES): 69.9, GROUND CLEARANCE (INCHES): 8.4, WHEELBASE (INCHES): 111, FRONT TRACK (INCHES): 60.4, REAR TRACK (INCHES): 60.4 AND CURB TO CURB TURNING CIRCLE (FEET): 37
• INTERNAL DIMENSIONS: FRONT HEADROOM (INCHES): 39.8, REAR HEADROOM (INCHES): 39.7, FRONT HIP ROOM (INCHES): 55, REAR HIP ROOM (INCHES): 54.6, FRONT LEG ROOM (INCHES): 40.3, REAR LEG ROOM (INCHES): 38, FRONT SHOULDER ROOM (INCHES): 58.3 AND REAR SHOULDER ROOM (INCHES): 57.9
• CARGO AREA DIMENSIONS: LENGTH (INCHES): 42.8, HEIGHT (INCHES): 40.4, LOADING FLOOR HEIGHT (INCHES): 28, LOADSPACE VOLUME (CU FT): 85.4 AND MEASUREMENT STANDARD: MANUFACTURER'S OWN

Last edited by mihir_d; 05-05-2008 at 01:24 AM.