M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Yet Another Power Steering Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 MR-S daily driver, 1997 SL600 weekend fun, 1999 ML430 tow vehicle
Yet Another Power Steering Thread

Hello all,

I need to replace the reservoir for my power steering on my 1999 ML430 and I have no idea what all needs to be done, or is it worth it for me to let the $tealership charge me $220 in labor to do it...

anyone done this before?

Thanks in advance!
-Erik
Old 07-06-2008, 02:03 AM
Almost a Member!

i ride a bicycle
it is fairly easy, given that you've got the right tools, and can be a bit messy to do at home.
you'll need to removed the c-clip on the back of the reservoir where it connects to the pump. lever it off with a screwdriver or a pick of some kind.
then, remove the screw on the front of the reservoir, its either an E10 or E12 torx screw. then, depending on how tight it is, it will either slide forward away from the pump, or you may have to use a prybar or large screw driver to lever it forward.
replace the seal at the rear, next to where the c-clip was, lube it with a little power steering fluid so it slides on easier, and slide the new reservoir on. reinstall the screw, reinstall the c-clip.
i would only advise attempting this if you've quite a bit of arm and hand strength or someone assisting who does.
but it's by no means impossible; i weigh 140 lbs soaking wet and i've done it at least 10 times without any trouble.
after the new reservoir is installed, fill it with fluid, start the engine for a couple seconds and shut it off. recheck the fluid level, correct if necessary, and start the engine again. the system bleeds itself as you turn the steering wheel back and forth from lock to lock a few times. it will whine quite a bit at first, but will quiet down after the air is out. recheck the fluid, go and drive it, recheck the fluid level and final time, and you're done. i forgot to include the part about cleaning up the mess, but i'm sure you can figure that out.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:09 PM

2000 ML430
Originally Posted by ninefourthree
it is fairly easy, given that you've got the right tools, and can be a bit messy to do at home.
you'll need to removed the c-clip on the back of the reservoir where it connects to the pump. lever it off with a screwdriver or a pick of some kind.
then, remove the screw on the front of the reservoir, its either an E10 or E12 torx screw. then, depending on how tight it is, it will either slide forward away from the pump, or you may have to use a prybar or large screw driver to lever it forward.
replace the seal at the rear, next to where the c-clip was, lube it with a little power steering fluid so it slides on easier, and slide the new reservoir on. reinstall the screw, reinstall the c-clip.
i would only advise attempting this if you've quite a bit of arm and hand strength or someone assisting who does.
but it's by no means impossible; i weigh 140 lbs soaking wet and i've done it at least 10 times without any trouble.
after the new reservoir is installed, fill it with fluid, start the engine for a couple seconds and shut it off. recheck the fluid level, correct if necessary, and start the engine again. the system bleeds itself as you turn the steering wheel back and forth from lock to lock a few times. it will whine quite a bit at first, but will quiet down after the air is out. recheck the fluid, go and drive it, recheck the fluid level and final time, and you're done. i forgot to include the part about cleaning up the mess, but i'm sure you can figure that out.
How can you tell if in fact is leaking from there. Where does the P/S fluid usually leaks when in fact the seal inside the reservoir to the pump is worn. I`m just asking because I have a P/S leak coming down the AC compressor and I can`t see where it`s coming from. I have felt underneath the reservoir for leaks and found none. I have followed the hoses from the pump to the radiator and the rack/pinion and havent found one leak. Is there a hidden gap above the AC compressor where the leak is, but hard to see with not enough clearance. Thanks in advance

Albert

Last edited by ML430ROCKS; 07-11-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:54 AM

ml320 & c240
Be sure it is a power steering leak and not engine oil. If engine oil leaks from your oil filter area it could easily be mistaken as a power steering leak. I had this happen and the dealer wanted to change my power steering pump. After I refused and properly inspect the area i found it was an oil leak instead.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'17 GLS 450, former owner '01 ML 430
Originally Posted by benzeboy
Be sure it is a power steering leak and not engine oil. If engine oil leaks from your oil filter area it could easily be mistaken as a power steering leak. I had this happen and the dealer wanted to change my power steering pump. After I refused and properly inspect the area i found it was an oil leak instead.
Benzeboy - what did you do about the oil leak around the oil filter? I think I may have a similar problem on my '01 ML430 - I'm pretty sure its up high on the engine as the top of the fan belt has oil on it.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:17 PM

ml320 & c240
I had change my oil and install the large o ring on the filter cap incorrectly causing it to leak. Hope it helps.