M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Suggestions for brake & rotor replacements ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
Suggestions for brake & rotor replacements ?

Hi fellow ML'ers, I know this topic has been beaten to death in the past, but I just thought I'd solicit the latest & greatest info.....

My '00 ML430 is just approaching 41,000 miles and very shortly will be indeed of new rotors and pads(all round). This will be it's 3rd set of pads and 2nd set of rotors.

I'm thinking of following Pete Fagerlins excellent instructions & getting the parts from German Star - unless anyone has a better suggestions which can offer a combination of low brake dust, effective braking longevity and low noise. The 'holy grail' of braking systems :-)

Ideally I'd like to retain the existing calipers and have 'bolt on' interchangeable parts.

Thanks Tim

'00 ML430 with 24 warranty repairs
'02 Porsche 996 with 1 warranty repair - the MB made transmission !
Old 12-28-2002, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'82 turbo yugo
Re: Suggestions for brake & rotor replacements ?

Originally posted by timdf
Hi fellow ML'ers, I know this topic has been beaten to death in the past, but I just thought I'd solicit the latest & greatest info.....
Yo, yo, yo you be needin' some badass big cross-drilled Brembos on yo bad machine so you can shorten the stoppin' distance because that's waht they do!

While you be in there, paint yo calipers racing red and you'll get 10 hp more, guaranteed.

[stick with pagids from Germanstar and the OEM Brembo rotors based upon my experience]
Old 12-28-2002, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
Hey Pete, you're getting to be too predictable !

But yes, I think I'll follow your lead about the pagids from Germanstar and the OEM Brembo rotors - not too sure about your other 'performance suggestions' though ;-)

BTW where did you get your OEM Brembo's ? Germanstar ?

Benzworld is pretty tame these days since your departure and this forum seems to be too quiet with little traffic.

How's the ML55 doing ? Got the bike rack mounted on it yet ?

Cheers

Tim
Old 12-28-2002, 09:34 PM

'82 turbo yugo
Re: Hey Pete, you're getting to be too predictable !

Originally posted by timdf
But yes, I think I'll follow your lead about the pagids from Germanstar and the OEM Brembo rotors - not too sure about your other 'performance suggestions' though ;-)
They would be dope dood!

Pads and rotors from Germanstar. I don't know if they source from different vendors though since someone ordered pads and got a different, but "equivalent" pad from another maker.

The new ML is treating us well, bike racks are on, and I'm headed to the dealer for some of the niggling problems that I had already addressed with the ole ML like machine gun locks, adhesive on the sunroof, etc.

The new engine is surprisingly peppy in comparison to the 430 but that damn intrusive ESP, even when it is off, prevents the truck from truly being "driven" like it could be.

Good luck.
Old 12-29-2002, 01:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Re: Re: Hey Pete, you're getting to be too predictable !

Originally posted by Some Pete Guy
They would be dope dood!

Pads and rotors from Germanstar. I don't know if they source from different vendors though since someone ordered pads and got a different, but "equivalent" pad from another maker.

The new ML is treating us well, bike racks are on, and I'm headed to the dealer for some of the niggling problems that I had already addressed with the ole ML like machine gun locks, adhesive on the sunroof, etc.

The new engine is surprisingly peppy in comparison to the 430 but that damn intrusive ESP, even when it is off, prevents the truck from truly being "driven" like it could be.

Good luck.
you decided to go for the 55 pete? Nice choice! What year and color? You gonna Zaino this truck or let nature take its toll, hehe .
Old 12-30-2002, 03:12 PM

'82 turbo yugo
Re: Re: Re: Hey Pete, you're getting to be too predictable !

Originally posted by AlBoston
you decided to go for the 55 pete? Nice choice! What year and color? You gonna Zaino this truck or let nature take its toll, hehe .
2000 black.

It's been Zainoed but it will get the same kind of use as my old ML so I anticipate some pinstripes somewhere down the road, or trail.