M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Battery drain problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Battery drain problem

I have a problem where if I leave my car in the garage without starting for 3 days or more I have to jump it to start. It doesn't need much to start just a little boost.

I got a test light and took off the positive battery post and connected the light to the terminal and touched the post it lit up. I tried to remove all the fuses one by one, both inside and under the hood, but the light was still lit. I also tried this with the negative terminal as well.

I noticed that it on the positive it wasn't the main terminal that would light it up but the side wire that is connected to the secondary bolt on the terminal.

Anyone know what else it could be? I am lost...

Any help or ideas would be great. It is a 2001 ML 320
Old 09-27-2008, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 ML500, 06 Subaru STI, 03 Yamaha R6
What you will need to go at this properly is a multi meter so you can measure the amerage of the draw, either that or the ability to read the brightness of the trouble light.

The memeory features, radio etc will dimly illuminate the test light when trying to trouble shoot this so the best mechanism the multi meter and see what the amperage of the draw is, it might also give you an indication of which circuit is drawing excessive current.

as a side thought are you cconfident that the battery is in good shape? It might also be an early indicator that the battery is failing. But you need and AVR Test machine to find that out.