M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Weird leak on front passenger side...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird leak on front passenger side...

just noticed the front passenger side mat and carpet were soaked with something that seems like water and appreciate any thoughts on what this could be.

I felt around above to underneath the console but no moisture - just at foot level and it almost seems like there is a leak below the mat and carpet. Two other malfunctions of note:

1) The climate control knob doesn't turn off the heat unless it's turned to the far left (cool) position - it used to kick off the heat when in the center; and

2) The glove compartment left hinge is broken (I can't imagine this has any relation but am mentioning it just in case).

Before going to the dealer and they say the moisture must be a spilled bottle of water or something like that (it isn't), I'm hoping someone has had a similar experience that can help explain this problem.

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2003, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Is it water or is it coolant? If water and no one poured it there, then there must be a leak from underneath. Sometimes there is condensation on the A/C ducts but that's usually very small - not even close to soaking anyhting. If it's not water, then you have a leaky heater core - inexpensive part but expensive labor on repair. I have the feeling the heater knob thing is related to the leak. What year??
Old 01-06-2003, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your response. I should have posted the car's particulars...it's a 2001 320 with ~13k on the odometer.

The fluid didn't have any odor beyond slightly musty and doesn't seem to be staining the tan carpet & mat (other than to darken them slightly) - I assume if it's coolant, I would be able to smell it?
Old 01-08-2003, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Originally posted by ssbrad
...The fluid didn't have any odor beyond slightly musty and doesn't seem to be staining the tan carpet & mat (other than to darken them slightly) - I assume if it's coolant, I would be able to smell it?
I'm not sure about the smell though. Regular coolant (the green one) will smell but it seems like Mb uses some orange/brown fluid and so I'm noit sure its smell is what we are used to. One thing though, no matter what it is, it should feel different from water - more viscous. Is that close to what you have. In anycase, have it checked if it's not water. If it's water and is staining the carpet, have it checked. You're still under warranty.